Bile Acid Tests

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Gentle Jacob's mom

Bile Acid Tests

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:27 pm

I was wondering which bile acid tests everyone gets, the urine or the fasting blood test? Jake's due and I've been reading that the urine test is just as accurate and not as much of a hassle.

Lynne

cforecatsmeow

Re: Bile Acid Tests

Post by cforecatsmeow » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Good evening and Happy Friday!

All of Winston's testing has been via blood work at this point to my knowledge and, honestly, I have no idea what they do with him. He is on a insurance/Wellness plan and they always take him in the back and do whatever is due along with his "new" tests. I guess I should be a little more cognizant of what they are doing and not just trust it. I will ask my vet about the urine bile test as well when Winston's test comes up (about three more months without any increases). They consult with a neurologist who has an excellent reputation in my area and he is pretty straightforward and frank in his opinions on these things.

I would also like to know if anyone is actually utilizing the urine test and if they have had a comparison to the fasting blood test to see if there is any deviation.

I say it all the time, but if I win the MegaMillions or the Powerball, we are going start running tests ourselves to see the difference:)
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Thank you Cynthia,
I read on the Guardian Angels website and the other canine epilepsy website that they tested and found the results to be the same with blood vs urine. Guardian Angels said that sometimes they actually preferred the urine test. I wanted to see if anyone here knew from having the test done because sometimes things can be different in trial/tests than in our real word of canine epilepsy. Jake has always had the blood test with fasting. That makes me nervous because I'm always afraid his blood sugar could drop too low and cause a seizure. I don't know if that's a well founded fear but it's there.
I know what you mean about the lottery. Last year was horrible for us, and if Colleen hadn't found out about the discount coupons this month I don't know what we would have done. Things are looking up now, so I'm hoping we just had a very hard year and we'll be on our way back. Finger's crossed.
I hope you and Winston are doing well.
Lynne

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Thank you! He's had a much better week and I hope you and your pup are having an easier time as well. Last year just absolutely sucked for us too. I feel your pain on that. I had many other personal issues with family, etc. and it was just bad all around. Financially, this disease is just awful, but the emotional aspect and lack of sleep is so much worse. I hope this year is much better for all of us and luckily, we will never see a year "13" again! Well, some might. At my age, it would be a miracle.

Let me know if you do go the urine test route. I am always interested to see or hear about new options.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:36 pm

So far we've only done the blood work. I hear everyone on hoping 2014 is a better year and we can start going back to the vet for routine checks/blood work. I don't know how many more increases/additions to meds my purse can take. I swear we must of been at the vet every month for the past 7 months and with the MRI's it wouldn't surprise me if I'd spent over $5000 in that time. I feel guilty too when I start thinking about the expense, because he's worth every penny, just some days are harder to cope I guess. My prayer is that the discount continues on the generic Keppra. Just wish the pharmacy had the KBr and thyroid meds too, but I'll take whatever break I can.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16