All dogs in household having seizures

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

magicsagekate

All dogs in household having seizures

Post by magicsagekate » Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:29 pm

We have a chocolate lab that began having gran mal seizures lasting 3-6 minutes, 2 years ago. She is now on potassium bromide 11/4 ml twice/day. Seems to be doing fine. Our 2 Brittanys recently began having them also (peti mal).Our cho lab had an increase in seizure activity,(once every 2 weeks) when the brittanys began having them. They all have had blood tests. All are within normal range. The cho. lab is also on thyroid meds twice/day. We think it is environmental. (No hx of related dogs having seizures).
We have tested several things in our house. Everything turns up normal with a low reading of radon. (Dogs are rarely in the basement). Our dogs are kept in the house most of the time and in a run when we are gone. They rarely run loose except for their once a day walk/run. I looking for any other ideas as to what would cause all 3, especially the brittanys to exhibit this behavior.

Ned Patterson DVM

Post by Ned Patterson DVM » Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:22 pm

This many dogs in one house is not very often seen. One thing you might have done, if it has not already been done, is to have your dogs blood lead levels checked. Chronic exposure to lead can cause seizures in dogs, and many more things contain lead than one would think.

[This message has been edited by Ned Patterson DVM (edited 04-25-2002).]

My poor St Bernard

Post by My poor St Bernard » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:29 pm

When Edison began having seizures in August 03 one thing the vet mentioned was carpet cleaning can cause seizures and also some older types of linoleum can have lead in them. They had also mentioned teflon water dish might contribute as well. Vet also asked if my house had lead based paint anywhere. I have no concrete eveidence to prove any of this but its just a couple things the Vet had mentioned. So I thought I would pass it along in hopes it may help someone else none of those seemed to be the cause of Edison's seizures. I actually packed up and moved in hopes that it was something in the house but that didnt help.
Good luck!! let us know of any discvoveries that you find.

Jefferson_123

Help me

Post by Jefferson_123 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:15 am

Ned Patterson DVM wrote:This many dogs in one house is not very often seen. One thing you might have done, if it has not already been done, is to have your dogs blood lead levels checked. Chronic exposure to lead can cause seizures in dogs, and many more things contain lead than one would think.

[This message has been edited by Ned Patterson DVM (edited 04-25-2002).]
Hi friend I am new here But I cam here to ask something about my dog. From couple of days I have noticed some change in my dog, I really why it is behaving like this, some time it is running & barking without any reason. Is it a sign of seizures? If it is seizures then plz tell me more about this disease & the treatment of it. My house is very clean & I don't use any lead related material in my house, so what is the reason behind this disease? I like my dog (Tuzax) very much & I don't want to lose it so plz help me.

my sites

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:34 am

Jefferson 123 could you add alittle more to this? what kind of dog? I have a sheltie who runs in circles and barks. she is not my epi dog. this is just what shelties do.
how old? any other signs? running and barking sound more bored then epi.
lead was not offered AS THE CAUSE, just a possable explaination for that certian case. but a very clean house means you may be using wrong chemicals and some thing may be toxic to your dog.
please tell us more about your dog and what he is doing
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Exactly - too many cleaners can trigger off seizures. As can air and fabric fresheners.
Use hot water and lemon as cleaners - not chemical ones.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Jefferson_123

Post by Jefferson_123 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:24 pm

I don't think so.

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:55 am

you don`t think so, what? that it might be the cleaners?
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

mikey63

unproven carpet cleaning a problem

Post by mikey63 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Sorry but I do get annoyed when I hear this myth pushed around. Like Kawaski disease that's often pinned on carpet cleaning.

What do carpets get cleaned with? Detergents. What do we clean our cars with, detergents, what do we clean our hair with....

The only possible nasty is the use of strong solvents and most carpet cleaners don't use anything that is worse than you would use to clean your paint brushes.

New carpets can contain VOCs though, these may have impact on those sensitive, but VOC emissions will subside in only a few days after laying.

Hope this clarifies.

If anyone is interested I can research this a bit further for the board.

Mike
Work working dogs and keep them happy :)

[url=http://www.carpetcleaning-somerset.co.uk/]Carpet Cleaning Somerset[/url]

MTM

Post by MTM » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:30 am

This is an old thread- but an interesting one. All 3 of the dogs I have had (all in the same house) ended up with a diagnosis of epilepsy. Murfy and Toby are still with me and the more I think about it, the less convinced I become of the diagnosis. What are the odds of having 3 mixed breed dogs who are not biologically related in any way all with epilepsy? They were not even born around the same time- Chester was born in 1990 (died in 2003), Murfy in 2000, and Toby in 2002. The one thing they have in common is the house we live in... We have tested the water and it did not come back with any detectable levels of lead but it might be worth having their blood levels checked? Has anyone else done this and found anything?

The other strange part of their story is they all started having issues around the same age- Chester and Murfy were both 4 and Toby was 2 months past his 5th birthday...
~Marie
Epi:
Murfy -forever free but forever missed <3
Toby -74 lbs, 8.5 yrs old, black lab mix
Meds:
258 mg Phb, .9 mg Thyrosyn and 300 mg Zonisamide BID. Also 575 mg NaBr daily.

claires friend

Post by claires friend » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:51 pm

I did have Morgan's levels checked. but found nothing. I agree with you, there is something at your property that is causing this! How old is the house?
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:55 pm

The only things I can think of is 1. their food 2. the container you are keeping their water in 3. the soil in your area. Sometimes the plastic containers can taint the water. It is recommended to use either a ceramic dish or good quality stainless steel and change the water daily.
Have you had your house checked for black mould by the furnace. Sometimes the spores get spread through the house by the heating system.
Do any of the humans living there have unexplained allergies ?
Do you have high tension power lines near your house?
Are there plants or shrubs in the garden that you have noticed the dogs eating the leaves?
I agree with what you say - 3 dogs all unrelated - it has to be environmental.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

MTM

Post by MTM » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:39 pm

With Chester, there could have been multiple things to check. I admit at the time he was with us, I was fairly clueless about epilepsy... dogs in general, but nothing significant stands out. Murfy and Toby are both on California Natural, we use only stainless steel dishes for water and food. The food is kept in its bag it is purchased in- a paper type bag. The house itself is quite old- 1920's- but it was moved to the location it is in now in the 1970's so the foundation and basement are not that old. The furnace has been replaced, but not the ductwork. I have carbon monoxide detectors all over. The floor coverings have all been removed and replaced over the years, the wiring has been completely replaced. I can't think of any room that has not been re-painted at least once and there are some walls we have taken out completely. The dogs are never here during the destruction part of construction and I try and be mindful of them everytime we do some project. I also run air purifiers. Neither has ever chewed on the woodwork or licked it or the walls that I am aware of.

The backyard is regular grass but there is a pine tree. The front yard is landscaped with multiple plants but they do not spend time there. Toby would be far more likely to eat something than Murfy but I don't know of anything specifically he has ingested. The land the house is on was once farm land- the house next door is actually the original farmhouse from early 1900's. What was the barn is three houses down on the other side. There are regular power lines, but we are probably about 4-5 miles from the nearest power station.

The one thing that has remained constant that all three dogs would have been exposed to is the water. We did have it checked for lead but no luck. I know we have galvanized pipes coming into the house so maybe there is something other than lead? If I knew what else to test, I would gladly test it. There has to be something we are missing... and being it takes them multiple years (4+) to show symptoms, I would think something that slowly builds up over time? What about radon? I did a little checking on this but didn't find any connection between it and seizures- only respiratory illness- but we haven't checked for that yet.

It has become my mission to figure this out... If anyone has any ideas on what else I can test please let me know. If I can figure it out, maybe I can help my boys. Until I do, I will never bring another dog here. Three have lived with me here, and all three had/have seizures. I couldn't put another dog through this.
~Marie
Epi:
Murfy -forever free but forever missed <3
Toby -74 lbs, 8.5 yrs old, black lab mix
Meds:
258 mg Phb, .9 mg Thyrosyn and 300 mg Zonisamide BID. Also 575 mg NaBr daily.

claires friend

Post by claires friend » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:03 am

Since there are no people having problems, I am thinking something like out door ground water?? Is it possible that where you house is sitting now used to be the trash area or dump site for the other house. Have you had any of the soil tested? Have any of your dogs had CSF taps? I wonder if that might show something. I would think one of the Vet schools that are doing seizure studies would be very interested in this. Have you been able to control all the dog's seizures with medications?
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:02 am

I agree - the vet schools would be interested. One thing I remembered from a Jean Dodds seminar I went to a few years back was she said that what we are seeing in our dogs now was what we were going to have to deal with as humans in 10 years. She went on to say that because dogs are closer to nature than we are ie they have contact with the ground etc where as we wear shoes they are picking up no end of problems. She said even walking across a car park the dogs can pick up the oil residue and lord knows what else then they lick their feet and fur and injest it.
Have you had the soil checked ?
Here in New Zealand a lot of orchards have been taken over to expand the suburbs and a whole lot of soil testing is being done because of the chemicals that were used on the fruit trees many years ago and it is now contained in the soil. In some areas the contamination was so bad with copper sulphate and one other chemical which escapes me for the moment that all the top soil had to be removed and dumped and replacement top soil brought in.
If your house was built in the 1920's it would have been painted with lead base paint. How did you remove the paint before you repainted? Sanding it off would have created dust and this would have left a covering everywhere. Once lead is in the body it is there for good and does create lots of problems to both humans and animals.
Have you checked out the food. Maybe it might be an idea to gradually change over to another food and see if that makes any difference. Have you fed all 3 dogs the same food all the time?
I sure hope there is a way of finding out what is causing these problems.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux