Autoimmune diseases?

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

MaggieMaeMom

Autoimmune diseases?

Post by MaggieMaeMom » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:44 am

It had been a full 24 hours of my Maggie (4 year old Boston Terrier) not acting right, she had multiple seizures and just was unable to walk. I made an emergency visit to her neurologist today because after the Valium and Keppra she still was not snapping out of it so we decided to go ahead with the spinal tap and MRI. As if cost isn't stressful enough the neurologist said she is starting to think this is something to do autoimmune disease now. I have no idea what to expect from the outcome of the MRI and spinal tap now that she is thinking this has less to do with epilepsy. Of course doing my own research on the internet has only caused more concern, now I am thinking that this could be something that is not curable.

She just started to have seizures the first week of January this year, it's been very hard to cope with as I am sure all of you understand.

I just thought I'd reach out to see if anyone had the neurologist mention to them that this might have less to do with epilepsy and more to do with an autoimmune disease.

ShilohsMom

Re: Autoimmune diseases?

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:31 pm

We did two MRI's and a spinal tap and have had enough blood work done to feed a vampire for a month :D Autoimmune hasn't come up, at least not yet. While the internet can be a wonderful resource it can really be scary (and inaccurate) but can be helpful in asking questions you might not though of.

I've come to the acceptance that Shilohs seizures are idiopathic and there isn't a cause. What makes her think it's autoimmune? How do they test for that?

When Shiloh clusters it can take DAYS for him to get back to his normal. The more he has the longer the post ictal phase lasts. Not sure if that's what was going on with Maggie.

Hoping you both have a peaceful night.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

MaggieMaeMom

Post by MaggieMaeMom » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Well it's not what the neurologist thought at all.

It's a tumor. There are no words for how heart broken I am. I am very nervous for her future.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:43 am

I'm so sorry to hear about Maggie. I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better. The only thing I know is that some dogs live for years with brain tumors. I know that's not very definitive is it? Hopefully you can find some comfort knowing that you've done everything possible for her.
We'll keep our fingers and paws crossed here for you and Maggie.

Lynne

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:58 am

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this and my heart breaks for you and what you must be going through. I know there isn't anything I can say that will make you feel better but my thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Let us know how you both are doing.

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:37 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your pup. I cannot imagine getting that news and I'm sure you are heartbroken. Our thoughts are with you and Maggie.
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

MaggieMaeMom

Post by MaggieMaeMom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Today Maggie is walking, eating and drinking all on her own. I know it's temporary because of the steroids the neurologist put her on but it's still nice to see her being to get out of bed and enjoy this gorgeous weather today.

My husband and I decided to take her to the oncologist this Friday. We have to at least try, we love our little girl so much. But we also know that we can not be selfish and let her suffer. I am trying to be a big person and accept what might happen years and years earlier than I thought but it's hard to imagine having to make that decision at her being only 4.

Thank you for the support!
Here's a photo of my girl helping me with homework!

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:20 pm

She certainly looks like she's having a great day and she's a beauty!

I know that we never know how long we or those we love will be with us, but it's incredibly difficult when you're faced with such realities so soon. I'm sure she'll have wonderful days ahead and will know every day she is loved, cared for and safe.