Licking/Gulping/Coughing....Seizure Activity?

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

lisakathryn87

Licking/Gulping/Coughing....Seizure Activity?

Post by lisakathryn87 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi all --

After being on pheno, kbr, and even weaning off of Keppra, Bailey has been seizure-free (to my knowledge) for over four months. This is an incredible relief, and I'm happy to finally be able to build up my savings account again...

However, I do have a concern, and a thought that perhaps she hasn't been 100% seizure-less. Occassionally, she has some excessive gulping/licking/coughing (hacking) attacks. I've been doing some digging online, which I have come to discover is very dangerous, and am reading that perhaps they are mini seizure episodes. I'm inclined to think differently, since she is usually coughing and asking to go outside so she can eat grass to try to induce vomiting. To me, that just doesn't seem representative of a seizure. Also, she is fully aware of her surroundings when this happens, because I'm talking to her and she is 100% paying attention to me, coming to me, etc. (and this is not at all the case during her seizures). This has been going on a while, and the vet initially told me to give her 10mg of Pepcid every morning. She stopped having them...and I sort of dropped the ball on continuing to give her the Pepcid...so perhaps my forgetfulness is just catching up with us, and she needs to have the Pepcid in her system a few more days for them to stop.

My other thought is that maybe it's allergies?

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions/insight/similar experiences, I would really appreciate the help!

Lisa and Bailey

ShilohsMom

Re: Licking/Gulping/Coughing....Seizure Activity?

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:51 am

Hi Lisa,

So glad to hear that Bailey has been seizure free for so long. That is always the best news, and right behind it is that we can financially breath a bit easier. I had no idea how expensive this disease is.

It does sound like she's suffering more from allergies than a type of seizure, especially seeing on how she's aware of your presence. The only thing I could think of with the vet prescribing her Pepcid is that maybe she has a bit of acid reflux?

Hoping that Bailey continues to stay seizure free and your bank account overflows! :D
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:03 am

Hi Lisa,
Did your vet also prescribe Benadryl (or Claritan) along with Pepcid? The reason I'm asking is that they prescribe the two together because they've found that the Benadryl works better when they do. I think because it helps with absorption. I'm not 100% sure of that. When I had hives they had me take both and I've heard of doing that with dogs too. We tried it with Jake. Now we give him Temaril P for his allergies and it's the only thing that worked without having a negative effect on his seizures. He used to scratch and chew constantly. We started with three a day and reduced it down to 1 a day, and that's where we are now.
I'm glad to hear the seizures are few and far between.

Lynne

Glory

Post by Glory » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:08 am

Just read your post. My dog Glory has done the same thing. Vets have me give Pepcid also. She can be agitated for hours or just briefly. I have a friend with another Boxer that is seizure free that does the same thing. I noticed this happens when Glory is chewing on a bone or hoof---maybe too much air taken in, as she seems to have a noisy stomach. Maybe beginning stages of bloat. Vets are not sure-other than it is a sign of nausea. I am curious if you have had further episodes and if you have discovered any more information.
Martha
Glory---6-year-old Boxer (55 pounds)
First seizure 11/17/13
Last seizure 7/23/15
PB 97.2 mg BID
Keppra 1075 mg TID
300 Zonisamide BID
Soloxine 5mg BID
Valium as needed to control clusters

Sesame

Post by Sesame » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:03 am

My dog does a repetitive behavior involving doing a strange licking movement and moving head around, it's been diagnosed as focal seizures. Dogs with focal seizures only have a small area of the brain involved in the seizure so the rest of the brain can overrule the action if distracted. Actions they perform during focal seizures vary depending on where in the brain it is happening. The dog can remain aware the whole time and be distracted out of the behavior. You may want to take some video of your dog doing the behavior to show your vet.
-Eva

Glory

Post by Glory » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Glory has had breakthrough seizures where she lowers her head and slowly moves it back and forth. Sometimes this then leads into a grand mall seizure. The gulping, licking ,hacking is very different. She has now been seen twice at the vets while exhibiting the behavior. She too has been prescribed pepcid. She licks the carpet incessantly and when we do not have 4 feet of snow on the ground she will eat grass if she goes outside. She has not had any episodes since I no longer give her bones or hoofs to chew on. Interesting. As I said previously,my friend has a dog who does not have epilepsy, but has exhibited the same behavior. I do wonder if the medication increases stomach acid/ nausea. Also she has never had any allergies so I don't think that is what causes her behavior..
Glory---6-year-old Boxer (55 pounds)
First seizure 11/17/13
Last seizure 7/23/15
PB 97.2 mg BID
Keppra 1075 mg TID
300 Zonisamide BID
Soloxine 5mg BID
Valium as needed to control clusters