need advice

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

athomas989

need advice

Post by athomas989 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:11 pm

Hey everyone --
So as you all know I have a 4 year old bindle boxer named Apollo who was diagnosed with Epilepsy at a year old and then diagnosed with cluster seizures in the spring of last year ... He developed a growth that we wanted looked at, me, of course fearing the Mast Cell Tumor, knowing that Boxers are also prone to them. The vet told us that it does look like it can be, took a biospy of it today but told us the results will not be in for about a week. She also told my husband (I was at work at the time of the appointment) that because of his epilepsy, Apollo is a high risk for surgery (if it is the mast cell tumor) ... My thought process is this: All my research shows that Mast cell tumors are highly curable if caught at grade 1 -- so why wouldnt they just attempt the surgery to save his life?? I dont understand -- couldnt they just do a spinal block therefore not put him out fully?? ... I am so upset that my poor Apollo hasnt gotten more then a few months without having any medial issues...Any advice is appreciated! Especially if I have to talk to the vet about surgery if god forbid he does have the Mast Cell tumor.
Thank you for your time everyone.
Apollo-4 year old Boxer
1st seizure: April 2012
Last seizure: 2/13/16
Pheno-64.8mg 2 pills BID
Zonisamide-100mg 2 capsules BID
Potassuim Bromide-250 mg 4 cc once daily
Keppra-750mg TID
Clorazepate/Rectal Valium-as needed when a seizure occurs

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: need advice

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:49 pm

As much as I agree that Apollo may be at higher risk because of his epilepsy if the surgeon knows what they're doing he should be fine. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but Jake has had 4 major, and I do mean major surgeries, and he came through just fine. There is always a risk whether a dog or a person is going under anesthesia, but I can't understand why a vet would imply that Apollo shouldn't have the surgery if it means saving his life. If your vet disagrees I would get a second opinion. I don't know what your relationship is with your vet, but she shouldn't mind if you get a second opinion. If she does you might want to look for another vet.
Again I'm sorry if I'm stepping out of bounds here but I'm tired of hearing about vets scaring owners of epi dogs about things that are a risk for a non epi dog too. As I said if the surgeon knows about canine epilepsy and what anesthesia would be the best choice Apollo should be fine. Another member went through this recently and their puppy made it.
I don't blame you for being scared. Any time out epi dogs go through these things it's very scary.
Lynne

athomas989

Post by athomas989 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:53 am

Thank you so much Lynne! I dont mind you being blunt at all, I wanted people's honest opinion about the situation.
Thankfully, the vet did just call me to tell me the mass is benign!! I am beyond words happy -- !! :) :)
Again, thank you for your honesty I like that about this board because people dont cookie cut things -- which I feel its the way it should be.
Apollo-4 year old Boxer
1st seizure: April 2012
Last seizure: 2/13/16
Pheno-64.8mg 2 pills BID
Zonisamide-100mg 2 capsules BID
Potassuim Bromide-250 mg 4 cc once daily
Keppra-750mg TID
Clorazepate/Rectal Valium-as needed when a seizure occurs

Eley's Mom

Post by Eley's Mom » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:23 pm

I would get a second opinion as well.
Eley developed two lumps and we had needle aspirations done on both and they were confirmed MCT's. Bostons are also very prone to them.

I was terrified to have her go through surgery. She's a clusterer too.
My vet assured me that the meds they use don't interfere with her seizure meds and that there was a very low risk for her to go through the actual surgery.

One of her MCT ended up being a grade one while the other was considered a very low grade two. Both are considered curative by surgery at this point and we didn't have to continue any additional treatment other than giving her Benadryl for about two weeks post surgery.

She didn't end up with any complications and didn't have another seizure until three weeks post surgery so I'm 100% confident it had nothing to do with the surgery.
Diana & Eley
Boston Terrier (23 lbs)
DOB: 11/12/09
First Seizure 2/8/14
Last Seizure 10/9/16
Phenobarbital 48.6mg (morning), 56.7mg p.m. (night)
3 mL Potasium Bromide, once daily
Clorazepate as needed after seizures

j121walker

Post by j121walker » Thu May 19, 2016 3:13 am

Consult with a physician for the right medical treatment. It is necessary to take advice from the various physicians and then choose professional wisely.