Sudden Onset Ataxia

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Sudden Onset Ataxia

Post by lisakathryn87 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:38 pm

Hi everyone -
I'm beyond happy to report that Bailey has been seizure-free since NOVEMBER! Prior to then, she would cluster, with up to ten grand mals at a time - always requiring the ER to stop them. So, I am beyond happy :).

However....suddenly, severe ataxia has reared it's head. We haven't upped meds since November (and then, just the KBr). I know there is some ataxia when doses are increased, but I am very curious as to why, completely out of nowhere, this is happening. It's been going on for about a week now. Sometimes it happens after she has clusters, but she always goes potty in the house after a seizure, so I would know if she was having them when I'm not home. Has anyone had experience with this? I had a senior blood panel done, and everything came back normal, so I'm really at a loss. I'm not too concerned, but was wondering if anyone could share some insight?

Hope you all are doing well with your pups :).

Lisa and Bailey

Re: Sudden Onset Ataxia

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:21 am

Hi Lisa,

Shiloh has severe ataxia after his seizures during the post ictal but I also increase his meds on seizure days and three days after (he clusters as well) which lengthens the time of his ataxia. Have you taken Bailey into the vet to make sure that it's ataxia related to seizures and not an injury? About 2 years ago Shiloh was ataxic and scissoring his back legs when he walked. Turned out he had damaged a disc in his back. I don't say that to alarm you, and think it's pretty rare for that to happen, but it might be something you want your vet to take a look at to make sure there isn't something else going on. It would also give you peace of mind.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Re: Sudden Onset Ataxia

Post by carla_mia » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:03 pm

My dog suddenly developed ataxia about 3 months ago, which was self limiting. The ataxia resolved after about one month. Then a month later his epilepsy just came out the blue. He started having head drop seizures when he would stand up or go look out the front window. Anyways, not sure if the two are related somehow. We havent pursued imaging sonce hes dping pretty well on keppra. But at the time he developed ataxia, we did a full blood panel and xrays and everything came back ok.