10-year-old dog petite mal seizures?

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

donodogs

10-year-old dog petite mal seizures?

Post by donodogs » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm not sure if any of the vets who moderate this board actually read this or respond, but I figure it's worth a shot...

Our 10.5-year-old mutt (boxer/shepherd/ridgeback maybe?) had one seizure a week ago Wednesday, and then another one five days later. The first one was very, very mild, like the mildest of petite mals - he didn't fall over, there was no paddling, and it lasted a very short time. The second one he did fall over and there was the briefest of paddling, but that, again, was over very quickly.

We know it's very rare for dogs this old to develop epilepsy and that his seizures are likely a symptom of a larger health issue. We had blood work and a chest x-ray done and both those came out normal (he's a little anemic, but most likely due to a surgery back in December to remove a splenic soft tissue sarcoma mass). We are thinking it may be a brain tumor, but aside from the two isolated petite mal seizures and slight change in appetite and energy level, he has not shown any other signs or symptoms that seem consistent with a brain tumor. (Also, I should add that we have not gotten an MRI for him and most likely will not, due to the cost of the procedure and our reluctance to put him under full anesthesia.)

I guess my question is whether there could be anything else that could've caused his two random seizures? Like I said, his blood work came back normal and his chest x-ray was clear, but is there anything else that would not have been detected by drawing blood or doing a chest x-ray that would have caused the seizures? Any thoughts anyone has would be so helpful. Thank you in advance.

MK's mom

Re: 10-year-old dog petite mal seizures?

Post by MK's mom » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:56 am

Has he been checked for any tick borne diseases? Could there have been a head injury or a neck injury?
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

ShilohsMom

Re: 10-year-old dog petite mal seizures?

Post by ShilohsMom » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:17 am

When they did the blood work, did it check the thyroid? Thyroid issues can cause seizures.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16