Is itching a part of epilepsy?

General questions about tests and procedures for diagnosing canine epilepsy. Please note that we cannot make a diagnosis or interpret specific test results via this forum - please consult your veterinarian for specific advice for your individual pet.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Urs-the-nurse

Is itching a part of epilepsy?

Post by Urs-the-nurse » Sun May 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi again,
We've done so many eliminations with Ursa's diet, treats and supplements that I can't keep track any more. We think we're on the right track and BAM, we're wrong again :? Ursa has been having focal seizures almost every early morning for weeks now. She's on Keppra and homeopathies from her holistic vet, but yet, she's still itchy and having focals. Anyone else have an itchy epileptic dog?

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Is itching a part of epilepsy?

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue May 30, 2017 1:58 pm

Some homeopaths and Chinese practitioners believe that itching causes seizures. I wish I could explain it but I think you might have to look it up or ask your vet. We approached it that way at one point and the remedies worked for a awhile, and Jake stopped itching for a few months, but he's had a chronic problem for many years so it wasn't a cure. We've changed his food, his environment, you name it, we've done it. We believe at least some of Jake's itching is seasonal, however when he's headed for a seizure he will sometimes be more itchy. Also, I've heard that some dogs chew their feet more after being on Keppra, as Jake does, but I don't know that there's anything concrete with that. Allergies are a real puzzle. You can spend a lot of money and time trying to figure it all out and you wind up back where you started. We take it as it comes, and use Emu oil if it gets bad, and bathe him in oatmeal. Sometimes that has helped.
I wish I could give you something more conclusive, but like epilepsy some dogs find solutions and some don't.
I hope you find out what's causing the itching.

Lynne