Page 1 of 1

MRI tomorrow 4/9/18

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:25 pm
by Alliezig
Hi -
I have scheduled an MRI for Ziggy tomorrow. On 4/7/18, he had three seizures; meds were increased to 1000 Keppra 3x day and Phenobarbital 1.5 grams 2 x a day. Fortunately Ziggy's insurance has agree to pay 80 percent of the MRI so I felt I should go ahead with it as I really need to know what is going on - I realize the test may show nothing but even so than I can go from there. When he is not having seizures, Ziggy is still relatively happy and it is hard to listen to those who say it is time to let him go - will let you know the results.

Thanks again for all of the support.

Re: MRI tomorrow 4/9/18

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:15 am
by jaragr
Nobody can tell me when it's time to let go. My dog will let me know, and I'm not giving him up until then. Then you see the after effects of a grand mal seizure and just want to hold on tight.

Re: MRI tomorrow 4/9/18

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:33 pm
by Alliezig
The MRI and the spinal tap were negative so the diagnosis is late onset idiopathic epilepsy. The neurologist is really kind and understanding. In two weeks Ziggy goes back for a Phenobarbital and Keppra blood level - one blood draw when he is due for his meds and the other blood draw two hours after he takes his meds. The doctor said that some dogs metabolize Keppra very rapidly and he may need another medicine.
The MRI was hard on Ziggy - he was under general anesthesia for a long time and it took a long time for him to recover - actually he is still sluggish. However, I feel so much better knowing what I am dealing with and working with a doctor who is encouraging. Ziggy is now on 1000 mg Keppra 3 x day and 1.5 grams of Phenobarbital 2 x a day.

I just could not give up on Ziggy.

The information one this forum is helping so much.

Mary Lou