Seizures brought on by an empty stomach

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

mtimmons

Seizures brought on by an empty stomach

Post by mtimmons » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:24 pm

My dog vomits bile every time she has a seizure. Vets say that its the seizure causing the vomiting, but i'm curious if it is the other way around.

I *think* that her seizures are brought on by an empty stomach.

After her first seizure, we didn't change anything. At this point she was eating 2 meals a day.

After her second, we added CBD oil.

I started visiting her on my lunch breaks every day to give her a walk and a small snack.

3rd and 4th seizures we weren't home to see, but there was evidence to know that it happened. Both happened when I was unable to make it home during my lunch break at work -- so no midday walk and snack. Started Keppra after 4th although I think the dosage was too low for her body weight to make a difference.

5th and 6th happened in the middle of the night after very active weekends. Those were 2 months apart. Keppra XR was doubled to 1000mg 2xday after the 5th. She was eating two small meals in the morning and two small meals at night - about 5:30 and 7:30 am/pm.

I've since started feeding my dog basically around the clock every 6 hours. which means waking up in the middle of the night but i'd rather wake up to feed her than wake up and pray that she comes out of another grand mal okay. So far so good and it has been about 6 weeks so we will see how long she goes this time.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is there actually some sort of connection or could this all be my mind trying to put a puzzle together when there is no complete puzzle with epilepsy.

I should mention that she is 5 1/2, a lab/shepherd/husky mix of some sort, and had an MRI and spinal tap which revealed a very very small amount of inflammation but no infection so we are treating as epilepsy.

Thank you :)

Box40Rin

Re: Seizures brought on by an empty stomach

Post by Box40Rin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:08 am

Hello, I'm one of the moderators of this forum but have been out of the country for a month so haven't been active. I don't know if feeding her several times a day helps prevent seizures or not. If you think it works, then I would continue to do so. Also, I would certainly keep your veterinarian informed so if an adjustment needs to be made to medication, it can be done. Keep posting please, we are interested.

Alliezig

Re: Seizures brought on by an empty stomach

Post by Alliezig » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:03 pm

I have a 6 year old lab shepherd mix - not sure of what Ziggy's mix is and he started having seizures on 12/23/17 at age 6 - his date of birth is 11/1/11. The food question is interesting - Ziggy gets 4 meals a day as for quite sometime he would become ill - throwing up if he did not get a Noon and Midnight "snack". However, I cannot link the seizures to empty or full stomach since he has had seizures at various times. His MRI and spinal were negative. I feed Fromm Salmon A La Veg with a fresh boiled chicken topper - I wonder if the food is related to the seizures. He is on 1000 mg Keppra 3 x a day and 1.5 gram of Phenobarbital 2 x a day.

How is your dog doing?
Thank you
Mary Lou