Adding additonal Keppra and no appetite

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

SnowysMom777

Adding additonal Keppra and no appetite

Post by SnowysMom777 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:58 am

Neuro Vet asked us to add addt'l Keppra dosage as maxed out on Pheno level and Zonisamide increase caused severe ataxia for 3 weeks, so decreased per Neuro Vet. Adding the addt'l Keppra has made my poor dog lose her appetite. Is this common? Has always been a good eater - eating 3 meals a day. Thank You for your advice.

Kestrel

Re: Adding additonal Keppra and no appetite

Post by Kestrel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:24 pm

How are you and you pup doing?
Zonisamide suppressed my dogs appetite and he lost 4 lbs in 8 months, it kind of worked for seizures a bit. My dog is a geriatric beagle started out at 28 lbs and is now 24 lbs, part of it may also be age. Now we started generic Keppra XR about 6 weeks ago since I didn't want to increase Zonisamide and his appetite has come back. I also feed him home cooked chicken in the morning when he is less hungry and I think he is maintaining maybe even gaining weight. The issue we are having now is the Keppra is making him get diarrhea at night. If we don't give the Keppra with some food in his stomach it will make him vomit and be won't eat for the next 8 hours. Same with Zonisamide, he must have some food in his belly or he will be nauseous, so we feed more mini meals and having cooked chicken in the fridge has come very handy to get him interested in food. I also space out the two pills at least 1 to 2 hours if I can. Our vet has suggested we lower our Keppra dosage a bit so hopefully that helps my sweet old dog.
16 yr old beagle
first seizure Sept 1 2017 when he was 15
Zonisamide 50 mg x 2 a day, since March 2018
Levetiracetam XR 750 split x 2 a day, since Oct 2018