Grading Kibble - The Dog Food Project

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Melissa and Raven

Grading Kibble - The Dog Food Project

Post by Melissa and Raven » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:20 am

I noticed someone had posted the "Grading your dogs food" email that has been circling for a number of years. I just wanted to post this on a different thread so it isn't missed.

This website is fantastic. Happy reading.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... ing_kibble

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:55 pm

I don't know what to believe anymoer.....too much conflicting evidence in every aspect of this disease! What happened to feeding Purina Dog Chow...or worse? What ever happened to the days when you just let the dog outside to run free in the middle of the city and he usually came back alive? That's what we did when i was a kid. It sounds like animal abuse to me now. I won't let this guy out of my sight, i'm so paranoid about what might happen to him.

And then there's tooth brushing. Do you think our ancestors would have been caught dead brushing their dog's teeth? Granted, i haven't started it yet, but Jackson is going to have his teeth cleaned under anesthesia in December and after that i plan to start regular brushing. He already eats better than i do. He's got a nicer fur coat than i have. What's next, a doggie water bed with electric blankets? Maybe a floor level TV with the Animal Planet running 24 hrs a day. Aww, he's worth it though....nothing but the best for little Jackie Boy!
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:10 pm

Hey Kurt - there are already doggy electric blankets !!!!
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Melissa and Raven

Post by Melissa and Raven » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:52 pm

Isn't that the truth?! We try to do what ever possible to do right by our dogs. To be "The person our dogs think we are" for them. With all this conflicting information, it's a wonder we haven't banged our heads against the wall.

DogTrainer

Who to trust

Post by DogTrainer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:42 am

One way to figure out whether the information can be relied on is to look at who is making the claim. If it is an independent party there is a greater chance that you can rely on it. The only problem is that some so-called independant testing centers are actually created by companies to say what the company wants said, so you have to know who they really are.
Tom Kelly
http://www.artofdogtraining.com

ibycus

Re: Who to trust

Post by ibycus » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:31 pm

DogTrainer wrote:One way to figure out whether the information can be relied on is to look at who is making the claim. If it is an independent party there is a greater chance that you can rely on it. The only problem is that some so-called independant testing centers are actually created by companies to say what the company wants said, so you have to know who they really are.
I'd be looking at the credentials of the 'independent testing center' regardless of who is paying the bills. There are way too many people out there who pretend to be experts, but really just have an ax to grind. (i.e. someone with a passion for raw feeding who is evaluating a kibble diet etc).

Personally I like a buddhist quote I found recently in a doctors office
Buddha wrote:Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

**edit to add - I quite like the page linked to. Thought it was a different one (the one promoting that method of 'grading kibble'), and hadn't looked at it. In general some good points.
Dale Atkin
UCVM 2012

DogTrainer

Post by DogTrainer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:23 am

Good advice. We all need to use more common sense these days when it comes to dealing with big corporations. Also here is another website that has some information about making dog food comparisons: http://www.dogfoodcomparisons.net but don't forget to use your common sense when reading it.
Tom Kelly
http://www.artofdogtraining.com