Water intake

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Nancy Antoniak

Water intake

Post by Nancy Antoniak » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:38 pm

Does anyone's dog consume a lot of water? Trucker, my dog, can drink up to 20 cups a day! He is 65 lbs. He is on phenobarb, 4 tabs BID. He seizures, on an average, of every 2 weeks.
Trucker: German Shepherd Mix
D.O.B 3/22/03
M/n
First seizure 9/7/05
Taking 1gr Pheno 4t BID
Valium tabs. and inj. for back-up (Clusters)

Bethelonia

Post by Bethelonia » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:59 pm

Don't know if this is any help but my sister's dog, a Golden Retriever, drinks a LOT of water. He has Cushing's Disease.
TJ: JRT born on 9-11-01. Genetic neuro disorders including seizures, first one at 5 mo., after that many clusters, may she Rest In Peace, PTS on 12/31/07.
KC: 8 mo. golden lab/terrier who is lost without her best buddy.

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:05 pm

My dog Ada will drink until I think she's becoming part CAMEL! But then, she's on Phenobarb, Kbr (potassium bromide) and a steroid (dexamethasone).

Do some reading on this site, if you haven't already. There are many options available if the pheno isn't doing the trick. I've only been fighting this battle since the end of Sept, but have learned a TON from the people here. And one thing I've learned to try to deal with is that the meds can take some time to kick in (especially the Kbr).

Good luck to you and Trucker. I hope he starts getting better with fewer seizures!

Nancy Antoniak

Water intake

Post by Nancy Antoniak » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:37 pm

Thank you for the input. I guess all of us here have one thing in common...we all love our dogs! And unfortunately, they all have a problem. I am new here, but I would like to share something that I have always kept with me.

"High in the courts of Heaven today,
A little dog Angel waits.
With the other Angels he does not play,
But sits alone at the gates."

Author unknown

Maybe he/she had a dog that seizured?
Trucker: German Shepherd Mix
D.O.B 3/22/03
M/n
First seizure 9/7/05
Taking 1gr Pheno 4t BID
Valium tabs. and inj. for back-up (Clusters)