Diet for epilepsy

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

richmauer

Diet for epilepsy

Post by richmauer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:27 pm

My vet just came back from a conference and left me a message to check out this Doctor's site. It has a diet for epileptic dogs, which he claims can stop the seizures. I have been only briefly reading through it and it seems very interesting, if not unbelievable. I can't wait to try it.

Perhaps this has been already shared, but there seems to be new info:

http://dogtorj.tripod.com/id2.html

Good reading,
Richard
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:28 am

This is interesting and thanks for posting it. A lot to read and absorb though. I just switched MK over to Canidae from Eagle Pack because he was getting an upset stomach. I spoke with a vet last summer that does accupuncture and he told me then to switch MK to a venison and potatoe food and to avoid rice and grains.

What are you feeding Peanut? Are you going to try this diet?

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:41 pm

I've been seriously considering switching Kiya to a home cooked or grain free. So I printed the article and lets see if it will get me moving in that direction. I just worry about her getting the right nutritional levels, vitamins and such. Unfortunately my life is in world wind righ now. Worst thing is if I cut my dogs off of Milk-Bone cookies..it would be like the end of the world for them.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:42 pm

I scanned through it and picked up on a few points - dogs are not made to eat grains !! The only grains and vegetables a dog would get naturally is from the pre-digested food from the stomach of a kill. Dogs intestines cannot break down the cellulose/gluten in grains and vegetables.
So much dog food is made from wheat by-products!!!! and with all the genetically modified stuff out there humans are developing more allergies than before so what is it doing to animals that are not meant to be eating it in the first place.

The Scrapie/ mad cow disease that happened in England several years ago was caused by the farmers that were feeding their herbivorus stock food made from the bodies of sheep that were infected with scrapie. Why on earth would you feed a herbivor a carnivorus diet and vice versa.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

richmauer

Post by richmauer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:36 pm

He basically says for the dogs to stay away from wheat, barley, dairy, and soy. I guess chicken and proteins are OK. He says lamb & rice is Ok, which is what I've been feeding my dogs mixed with a protein like chicken or beef.
The thing I have to get rid of is the "cookies". I see that Nutro has cookies that are OK.
I have been giving them the chicken breast "jerky" that Costco sells and they love them. I wonder if they are OK.
Richard

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:01 am

Does the jerky have a high salt content? If peanut is on KBr, you have to be mindful of the salt intake.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:52 pm

Dried jurky and other dried stuff like ears etc should be ok so long as they are not of an asian extraction.
Over here this stuff has been tested and found to contain a lot of industrial chemicals used in the preservative stage. This includes anti freeze which is lethal.
If you are in doubt buy a dessicator and dry the chicken yourself. Then you can do all sorts of food for them.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

richmauer

Post by richmauer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:08 pm

I emailed the company. It's WagginTrain chicken breast treats. They responded as follows:
In response to your email:

* All of our Waggin' Train Brand pet treats are manufactured in our US co-owned factories, located in China.
* All of the ingredients used in the making of our pet products are procured from a certified/inspected independent source that is NOT of the same supply as competitive animal treat companies which have been recalled.
* All of our ingredients are Food Grade, which means all meats, grains and flour ingredients are certified to standards set as safe by FDA standards and are safe for human consumption.
* All of our factories produce products exclusively for Waggin' Train, LLC.

Prior to oven drying, the tenderloins are marinated in a mixture of natural seasonings. The natural seasonings that we use are simply apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt. These three ingredients are used in very small quantities and act as a natural preservative, as well as enhance the flavor of the chicken breast tenderloins.

I'm unable to give you the exact milligram count of salt and sugar used. However, I do know that the salt and sugar combined constitute less than 1% of the total marinade solution. To be more exact, each of these two ingredients makes up just 0.3% of the solution. These are very low sodium and sugar counts, making the Chicken Jerky Tenders a safe treat to feed in moderation (1 strip daily) to dogs with diabetes or on salt-reduced diets.

My three dogs live for these treats. What do you think?

Richard

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:35 am

It sounds safe enough, but I'm very leary of anything coming from China no matter what the companies claim to use in their products. Rawhides have been known to cause many problems for dogs, I've never used the jerky treats so I cannot comment on them. If you feel that they're safe for Peanut and you don't see any negative reactions from the treats, then I suppose they're ok to give the pup.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:17 am

Hmm...that's a tough one to say, but honestly, I've stopped giving my dogs ANYTHING from China. (and you have to look closely at many of the products to see where it's from. I've even found some that don't say and wouldn't buy those either)

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:00 pm

Your Indians have been making rawhide for generations. There must be a site or info somewhere as to how to do it.
I am showing this weekend and there is a woman who goes to all the shows who makes her own rawhide treats. I will try to glean some information on how she does it. The product looks horrible compared to the commercial stuff but all the dogs I know love it.

BTW - beware of those things called Greenies too as they have been know to start off a seizure. Think they are from China too.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:26 pm

"BTW - beware of those things called Greenies too as they have been know to start off a seizure. Think they are from China too."

That's interesting! I know one controversy about Greenies was that dogs were choking on them (or chunks of them). I've noticed that two of Ada's seizures were triggered when she's gotten a piece of rawhide and a piece of cooked bone stuck in her throat. I don't give either to my dogs anymore. (my dogs INSIST on letting the rawhide slide down their throat only to try to gag it back up, like they're softening it...yucky and dangerous)

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:27 pm

You really shouldn't give cooked bones to dogs as cooking makes the bones brittle and they splinter and could graze the dogs throat or stick in the stomach, intestines and bowels.
It also destroys any goodness in the marrow.
Jane
Seizure free forever now
Dogue De Bordeaux

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:54 pm

I unfortunately figured that out (and read about it) after the fact, but have learned my lesson.
I took them away as soon as I saw how bad they were breaking apart.

I can't give them the marrow bones as they get very loose stools and sometimes upset tummy's but I've read that the large knuckle bones are good for their chewing urges. Right now they chew Nylabones.

richmauer

Post by richmauer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:23 pm

The chicken jerky is not like rawhide, it's more like a dried slice of chicken breast. The brand is available at Costco & Walmart and my 3 dogs live for them! They chew them to eat them but not like rawhide which would take them an hour. I'm sure it's also good for their teeth.
Richard