CEN

CEN

Canine Epilepsy Network

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: No corn, soy & wheat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:23 am 

I just wanted to pass on some helpful info for everyone out there struggling with controlling your pup's epilepsy. My Jack who has seizures, allergies and was recently diagnosed with low thyroid (low T4 & low Free T4). The test was done by Dr. Dodds and once I received the results, i called her hoping to at least speak with an assistant or someone. She answered the phone and i asked her all kinds of questions on what else might help. One of the first things she suggested was changing his diet....no wheat, no corn and no soy and grain free is best. Jack clusters and she suggested rectal valium, the ice pack and ice cream. I know there's been alot of talk about diet and suggestions to use ice pack and ice cream. I just wanted to reiterate this info in hopes it might help others.

PB 150mgs 2X a day
Soloxine, KBr, Zonisamide 250mg 2X a day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:53 pm 

This is what she told me too - dogs do not plant and reap grain - they are carnivors.
As I have mentioned before I met Dr Dodds at a seminar she gave here in New Zealand a few years ago. I didn't know anything about her except what I had learnt from this forum - she tested for thryoid problems. The NZ kennel club brought her out here and I decided to go along - mainly to learn what she had to say about how to deal with seizures.She was talking on a great range of subjects but after she started talking about thyroid problems I was amazed that my dog fitted into so many of the symptoms of low thyroid. I checked with my daughter just to make sure I was not "making" KiKi's symptoms fit. The next day I got the chance to talk to Dr Dodds one to one and she was so down to earth. She re-explained all the problems with low thyroid to me and looked at some photos of KiKi (I didn't take her with me as I didn't think I would be able to discuss anything on a one to one) and she said that she could tell she had a low thyroid by the way she looked. The give away to her is the eyes and what she calls a ratty puppy tail.
She showed us some before and after photos of some of her patients and the difference was amazing. She did explain that if the seizures had been going for quite a while and were due to low thyroid, a course of Soloxine may or may not stop them as the kindling had already set in.
I took notes while she spoke but then I visited her web site and found that nearly all of what I wrote down was there so I just printed it off. Saved me a lot of typing.
I only wish that KiKi could have completed the Soloxine course to see if it may have made a difference.
I emailed Dr Dodds to let het know KiKi had passed thinking it might have been replied to by a standard reply but she emailed me back with a lovely personal letter.
I hope that putting Jack on thyroid treatment helps him but please do not reduce the PB. Check back with her regarding upping it and then lower it down when the course finishes.

Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:57 am 

Jane how long was Kiki's treatment supposed to be? Also, what do you mean "the eyes" were a sign of low thyroid? I fear kindling has already set in for Jack. He started out in June 2007 with 1 mild seizure every three months, now he is having pretty strong clusters every two weeks. Also he has been startling at the slightest thing, he jumps a mile if i pet him or if i walk past him and he doesn't notice i'm coming. This from a dog that used to be absolutely fearless, nothing fazed him. Poor guy. A week ago, i switched his dog food based on Dr. Dodd's recommendation and started him on Soloxine. I just realized last week that he had his first seizure in June 2007, which was a month after i started him on a new dog food. Not sure if there is a correlation, but can't hurt to try.

PB 150mgs 2X a day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:28 am 

What brand of dog food would not have any grain? I use one without corn (Canidae) but have used biscuits with corn (I'm going to avoid that now.)

As far as the statement that dogs do not plant fields, well, dogs have attached themselves to humans since before humans planted fields- they certainly have eaten grains as long as or almost as long as we have.

Bobbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:59 am 

Dry dog food with no wheat, corn, grains or soy: Evo and Solid Gold Barking at the Moon. Those are the two that i've heard good things about. I'm sure there are several other brands out there too. A little pricey though.

PB 150mgs 2X a day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:38 am 

**As far as the statement that dogs do not plant fields, well, dogs have attached themselves to humans since before humans planted fields- they certainly have eaten grains as long as or almost as long as we have.**

People have been on grains since the beginning of time and there are folks today that have wheat allergies, so why wouldn't animals?
Vivian

Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:13 pm 

I'm not saying they can't have wheat allergies; I am questioning the statement that eating wheat is not natural to dogs.

Bobbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:13 pm 

Firstly the question on the eyes. Jean Dodds has this opinion that dogs with low thyroid have a certain look to their eyes. Almost a vacant sad look. I know a lot of dogs do have this kind of look but it is one of the things that she looks for in a low thyroid dog.

The statement I made about grains not being natural to dogs is that over the thousands of years they have been involved with man their digestive system and their teeth have not changed. Their bodies are set up for a short digestive system and for tearing their food which stimualtes this digestion which is based on a protein meal (meat). The tearing of the food produces the saliva used to break down the proteins whereas our digestive system is for long digestion for grains (carbs) and is stimulated by smell. The only grains or vegetables that a "wild" dog will eat is out of the stomach of a kill. This grain and green has already been pre-digested by the victim and the dog is able to finish off the breaking down process for the vitamins and minerals that it requires. Dogs cannot break down cellulose.
The reason why manufacturers use grain in the making of dog food is to bind it together into biscuit or granuals. Most of the grains that are used are only the husks and shells and contain no nutritional value at all and are the left overs from "human" foods which would otherwise be thrown away. The bags usually say things like wheat millings - what is this?
Yes there are dog foods out there that do not have grains in them and they are more expensive because they are not full of rubbish fillers.
What did the dogs get fed before these products came onto the market? I have had dogs for about 40 years and I remember with my first dogs we had to by scrap meat from the butcher and they also got table left overs and bones. These dogs of mine never went to the vet and there were not the hoards of vaccination either. Dogs now days are fed all these products with additives etc in them which are totally unnatural for them and vets are worth a fortune.
KiKi was my first dog that I fed dry food to as I was following instructions from her breeder. I ended up with a dog who was at the vet with epilepsy, bad skin (cured by taking her off dry food) and ear infections.

Dogue De Bordeaux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:25 pm 

Check out dogfoodanalysis.com
Under Reviews...check out the 6* foods. Most are without grains.
Best dry bagged food on the market today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:48 am 

Sorry Jody - forgot the first question. The course was for 6 weeks but she only got half if that done.

Dogue De Bordeaux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:37 am 

Thanks Jane, that's a good reference point for me. Seems like it will take a while for the Soloxine to start having an effect?

Well Jack is 14 days into his thyroid treatment and 13 days into his new dog food. If he continues to follow his pattern of the past 3 months, he is due to have a seizure either tomorrow or Wednesday. I am hoping the soloxine and new food have had enough time to start working (if they are going to work at all) so that maybe we can stretch out (not even going to think "prevent") his seizure cycle.

PB 150mgs 2X a day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:29 pm 

Jody - you need to stay calm over this time. He will pick up on your increased tension as to wether he will seize or not and this will affect him too. Try to do extra things with hime to keep both of your minds busy - just don't overdo the excercise at this time. Lots of plays, hugs and attention should do - not that these dogs don't get that anyway but more cannot be bad. The moon is not full so that is one problem out of the way. Good luck and keep the ice pack handy.

Dogue De Bordeaux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:43 pm 

Ah the ice pack, thanks for the reminder. Yes i will try my best to stay calm (hard to do). Thankfully my fiancee is the complete opposite of me, he tends to calm everyone down. Jack is totally pampered as is, cuddled, kissed, pet and talked to, he's a big part of the family but i'll make sure to spend extra time with him....its easy to do, he's such a good boy.

PB 150mgs 2X a day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:07 pm 

I joked to the vet one day when I asked if the vallium KiKi was given was for me too. He did't see the funny side of it but hey you have to make light of things sometimes otherwise we would go insane.
I remember a post by Lovemypups not long after I joined the forum where she was describing her kitchen after her dog Casey had just had a seizure.Apparently his tail was wizzing around throwing poo all over the walls. Well it was not funny that he had a seizure but we all had a giggle about the way she described the aftermarth.

I don't know if another thyroid panel has to be done after the course finishes to see where the levels are. If they are still low I think the course is repeated until they come right. Check with Dr Dodds.

Dogue De Bordeaux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:48 am 

Yeah i have eyeballed Jack's bottle of valium several times. Well Jack has made it through the morning, so we've made it through the first hurdle. He usually has his seizures in the early AM or late at night while he's sleeping. This means he has broken his record and made it 14 1/2 days, which is the longest he's gone except for when he first started on the Phenobarbital. Tonight and tomorrow AM will be the true test of if soloxine and/or new food is working because his pattern has been 8 days, 9 days, 12 days, 13 days, 13 days, 14 days.

He did seem very lethargic, tired and glassy eyed last night, i was convinced he was going to have a seizure this morning. Does anyone else's dog do that?

PB 150mgs 2X a day