anybody feeding barf??

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

kemi

anybody feeding barf??

Post by kemi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:22 pm

how much and what do you feed?? our dog was on barf before he developed seizures. we were advised to just feed lean chicken, because of the protein. Liver and organs and such would be too rich for a dog on K-Bromide. any advice?

we are also not allowed to feed him bones anymore, diogee is old and has worn down his teeth, so I'm thinking about getting a meat grinder so he gets his bones as well.
kemi

diogee, a raw fed, senior Siberian Husky
800mg K-Bromide & 125mg Primidone
First seizure: 08/04/09
Last seizure: 09/01/10

Maysie

Post by Maysie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:36 am

Hi Kemi

I've been doing a bit of research and have also been recommended to try the BARF diet. i think you can buy it in pre-made patties. I am yet to actually source them and get started but pretty sure i will give it a try. I was just a bit concerned that vets dont seem to support it... but i have heard some really positive experiences with it.
Anyway, will keep you posted!
Maysie x
Maysie & Toby
8.5 yo 40kg fawn greyhound
My beautiful 'pointy' heart dog :)

kemi

Post by kemi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:21 am

Hi Maysie,
raw food is IMO the best thing you can do to your dog (congratulations on the switch!!) My dog started being picky with his premium kibble about 3 years ago, that's when I started doing research and first started giving him homecooked meals and then we just switched him over to raw. We have not looked back since. He has so much more energy and absolutely loves feeding time. haha
The only thing, now that he's older, his teeth have worn down from the bones (which is normal) but now we can't feed him bones anymore, everyting has to be crushed.
I used to buy premade organic raw food, but the vet said, right now it would be too rich with the medication we are giving.
Unfortunately, our boy is loosing weight like crazy and I don't know how to "fatten" him up, without feeding him rich organ meats.
kemi

diogee, a raw fed, senior Siberian Husky
800mg K-Bromide & 125mg Primidone
First seizure: 08/04/09
Last seizure: 09/01/10