What does everyone feed?

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

ZumiePaps

What does everyone feed?

Post by ZumiePaps » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:27 pm

So what does everyone here feed their dogs?
How often and how much?
Has the elimination of any types of food or ingredients caused a decrease in seizures?
Have you found any particular ingredient made them worse?

I feed a variety of kibble mixed with canned food to all my dogs. I usually stick with Innova, Wellness, Taste of the Wild, and Orijen. At the moment, Austin is on Wellness Small Breed dry food. I mix 2 teaspoons of Dogswell Vitality Duck & Sweet Potato in every meal. He gets 1/8 cup twice daily with 2 tsp of canned. Reason we chose the dry food is because he went through a very sick period where he would not eat because of the constant seizures. This used to be a dog who would eat ANYTHING in a heartbeat. Now since being sick he is much pickier. I tried a million different sample bags of food to get him to eat. He chose the dry and canned himself and loves it.

Austin has ALWAYS had issues with being chubby. He inhales his food as if it's his last meal (even before any seizures or meds). We exercise at LEAST 3 miles every single day, usually upwards of 5 miles. Swimming is also an activity at least twice a week. His food seems like such a tiny amount, but it's really all he can have! He lost 1.5 lbs when he was extremely sick from the frequent seizures. Since then, he is a perfect weight and we have finally been able to keep it off. He's a slim 9.5 lbs!
==--Lauren (vet tech) --==
Austin - Papillon on 50mg Zonisamide BID
Chloe - Papillon
Ella - Papillon
Raven - Belgian Malinois pup
Enzo - polydactyl kitten

Apache

Re: What does everyone feed?

Post by Apache » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi, Lauren,

After our guy was diagnosed with Epilepsy, we decided to switch to a food that was grain-free. Unfortunately, he developed an allergy to anything chicken. Most foods (including the higher priced grain-free foods) also contain chicken fat as an ingredient. We then discovered Canisource, and recently, Acana has come out with a chicken-free formula called, Ranchlands. He gets both of these twice daily, (two cups total) and he gets home cooked meals, also twice daily.

Sadly, I have not noticed any change whatsoever in the severity or occurrences with his seizure activity since switching his food from a cheaper based brand, to a grain-free variety. But, I do believe he's getting good quality kibble, and his stools have improved dramatically.

Brian

OrngTby

Post by OrngTby » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Ah food. I think my dog's ears just perked up even seeing me type that word. Epilepsy has not really changed how I feed my dog, I've always been a grain free (for the most part) mixed feeder. His current diet is as follows:

AM: 1 banana sliced, 4-6 strawberies sliced (fresh fruit is the general work, but this is what it was this morning), 1/2 cup Orijen Fresh Fish dry, 2-3 tablespoons of plain or greek yogurt

PM: 1/3 cup Sojo Grain Free dehydrated fruit and veggie mix rehydrated with warm water (or fresh veggies or steamed veggies), 1/3 cup Orijen Fresh Fish dry, some form of meat (1/4 can 99% canned, 1/3rd can grain free something or other, fresh homecooked something, raw whatever), 1 tablespoon of cottage cheese

Then to each of his meals we add his supplements: 1/2 40# scoop of Nupro Joint Formula, 1 1/2 capsule Moducare, 500 mg taurine, 2 fish oil capsules

Of course all of this is relative. I try to stick to brands like Nature's Variety, Orijen (Champion), Wellness, Primal, and Weruva although I think I have a couple of cans of Dogswell and Blue something or other in the cabinet. As a personal choice I try to stay away from the Natura products (what can I say, the P&G buy out bugs me) and the heavily Diamond manufactured products although Taste of the Wild (Diamond owned) and Solid Gold (Diamond manufactured) may some day end up on my used lists.

I've only had Gauge for about 5 months now so who knows how this will change. I think I will eventually progress to a heavily raw diet although I'm not sure if I will go for manufactured raw (ie. Nature's Variety and Primal) or a home made raw diet.
Melynda, LVT
Gauge
Possible 1st seizure: 12/24/2010 ?
Last known seizure: 8/27/2011
150 mg Zonisamide BID
375 mg Keppra QID

Orli

Post by Orli » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:23 pm

Until Pereg was started on Pb and her appetite got way out of control, I had fed her on the same dry food she had had since she was five months old, the same food my Little One had until she went onto a dry food for "elderly" dogs.

Pereg had only had/wanted one meal a day prior to the Pb and was happy on it, with her weight remaining steady. Following the Pb she was ravenous and wanted food food food all day and all evening, so I changed her diet to slightly reduce her regular dry food and bulk it out with lightly steamed vegetables. And some pulses and grains, which she tolerated very well. I started the new regime with three small meals a day, reducing to two - and only feeding her when she asked for food, because if Pereg is not hungry she will not eat.

She has now decided she does not like her food [fussy? she is downright diabolical at times now] and will ignore it and nag nag nag for something she does fancy, although neither she nor I know what it is that she actually does want, so I am changing her diet yet again, to one regular meal plus some raw. At the moment the raw consists of frozen uncooked chicken wings which get chombled chombled with not a crumb left, and are given just as a treat during the day, but I can see them [plus other raw meat/bones] becoming a goodly part of her main diet. I am also mixing her ground Milkthistle and Taurine powder with either a raw egg or a small container of low-fat plain yoghurt which she has in the morning, and which so far is keeping her happy for most of the day, and then she will have her regular meal in the evenings - with an egg mixed in if she has not had one in the morning.

Vitamin supplements are one Omega 3 Fish Oil capsule, one Vitamin E capsule and half a B50 complex tablet a day. Those are added to her regular meal.

Somehow I have to find a diet that will [a] suit Pereg, that she is happy with, and [c] that will fill her up without her gaining any more weight. But the epilepsy, or more probably the Pb, have changed her food likes/dislikes and hunger, and I have to get round this somehow.

It is all trial and error, but the pulses and small amount of grains do not seem to have any negative effects on her epilepsy - quinoa and buckwheat not really being grains though.

These epi pups of our really do try us and our patience at times, but they cannot help it can they. And I will do everything I possibly can to keep Pereg happy and as healthy as possible. We did not get our gold star on Sunday but got one yesterday, and today is another day so hopefully it will be a seizure-free gold star one.

With comfort

Orli
The love I have for Pereg
And the love she has for me
Keep me going

Life without her would be easier
But then
It would be
So boring

mtbkel

Post by mtbkel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:48 am

About the time Roxy started seizing I had changed her food. I was tired of feeding her stinky fish based dog food (NB salmon and sweet potato) that my other dog seemed to require due to his bouts with colitis. So I tried the grain free high protein. She got diarrhea. Then I tried Ellen Degeneres food Halo, which smelled so good I thought about eating it... Roxy really liked it. Then I went to NB Duck and potato. I was all over the place. And most of the food gave her gas, which Boston Terriers are known to suffer from.
She is back on NB Salmon and sweet potato and I guess I am keeping her there. I cook her carrots, give her canned green beans, rice and ground turkey or cooked chicken. Occassionally I give her raw chicken, but it is a pain to deal with for me, so not very often. Mainly I give her kibble and then veggies and extra meat on top (a tablespoon or so). Somtimes a little rice. I cook it all with garlic and dried onion chips for flavor. For treats or middle of the night snacks she gets vanilla yogurt. More calories than plain, but don't think she'd eat the plain. I wouldn't... Lately she gets a dehydrated chicken tenderloin at bedtime since she gets hungry in the middle of the night and wakes me up most nights without a late night treat. Hopefully, it is not too much protein. Tomorrow she gets her lab work so we will see if all is ok. Sometimes she likes a bit of apple or cantaloupe or unsweetened applesauce. She will also eat asparagus and sugar snap peas. I have tried to stay away from wheat, but some cookie type treats I give her do have wheat. She has had less seizures on her old diet, but it is hard to tell since her meds have also been adjusted...

Good Luck

Kelly and Roxy gurrl.

Orli

Post by Orli » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:50 am

I am getting extremely concerned about Pereg now, and am in the process of changing her food yet again - this time to a part BARF, part RF, and part her regular food.

She is fine on BARF and RF but as I cannot buy pet quality meat and bones but have to buy those that are for human consumption quality, it is going to cost me a fortune.

I just do not know what to do, because I cannot afford what she needs.

It is literally driving me nuts trying to balance out how little I can manage on financially in order to pay for everything for her, and am almost on the point of giving up.
Keep me going

But then
It would be
So boring

seebr5640

Post by seebr5640 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:53 am

ZumiePaps wrote:So what does everyone here feed their dogs?
I am currently feeding Sampson "Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Canine Formula". But starting with this morning's feeding, I am in the process of switching him to Wellness Core Reduced Fat Recipe. I've heard that dogs on Pb and KBr should be on a low fat diet. Hopefully, this will help Sampson from getting pancreatitis which has been associated with potassium bromide/Phenobarbital combination therapy in epileptic dogs.

Barb & Sampson

libbysmum

Post by libbysmum » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:35 pm

i dont often like posting the good news, because when I do its often then followed closely by bad, but.... lets give it a go and hope for the best!
My girl was feed on Purina Pro Plan (I am in the UK) we were struggling to control her fits for over a year, we had almost settled on one every 3.5wks, but the time was always getting slightly shorter. I switched her to grain free, fish4dogs, and without a medication change the gap between fits instantly doubled, and its been getting longer!!!!!!
I know what works for one rarely works for another, but I would always suggest giving it ago if you are struggling with the meds. Yes its a pongy food, but she LOVES it!

Shmo

Post by Shmo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:27 pm

Since Gizmo has started having seizures, I too have been rethinking his diet. He has been raised on Medi Cal Preventive and has never had any issues. I am just not satisfied that this is the healthiest diet and have been introducing home cooked food. This has consisted of whole grain brown rice mixed with ground beef baked with green beans, carrots and a bit of cheese. Also, I have added tblspns of canned Wild Red Pacific Salmon, and the last couple of days hot dog pieces and a bit of cheese. I am basically trying to get into adding what we eat (meat,veggies,fruit,etc) to the rice base and perhaps eventually get away from the kibble all together. Unfortunately, he has had some diarrhea the last couple of days so I will have to adjust accordingly.
I am determined to keep an open mind about this 'process' as best I can. All we really want is to do the best for them and trial and error is part of life I find???
This forum is very helpful and I am glad I found it. I can't belive this is happening to Gizmo...

seebr5640

Post by seebr5640 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Shmo,

Sorry to hear about Gizmo. Could it be the cheese causing the diarrhea? Some dogs can't tolerate dairy products. I don't know about the hot dogs. I had a dog trainer tell me that dogs should not be fed hot dogs or any processed meat. However, she did suggest that if you wanted to feed them hot dogs, to put them in the microwave until they are kind of crunchy but still chewable. That helps remove all the salt out of them. She had told me how many minutes to cook it for. But I have forgotten since I wasn't feeding my dogs hot dogs anyway. I don't know how true this is. Otherwise, it sounds like you are doing the right thing in feeding home cooked and using the right ingredients. :)

Barb & epi-Sampson
Pb 64.8 BID
KBr 1.2 ml BID
Zonisamide 250 mg AM/300 mg PM
Wellness Core Reduced Fat TID

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:00 pm

There is a lot of information on home cooked meals on the Guardian Angels website.
canine-epilepsy-guardian-angela.com/healthy_diet.htm
Jake is on a raw diet, but we also use this when we can. I agree processed food is not a good idea.

I hope this helps,
Lynne

Shmo

Post by Shmo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:01 am

Thank you for your responses. I didn't think the hot dog was going to go over too well but I have to put the Potassium Bromide in his morning meal and after the second day he wouldn't eat the plain kibble & med so I need to add a 'little something' to it so it 'all' gets eaten. I agree about the cheese, though it is probably his favorite snack next to a small peaunt butter kong, it definitely gives him gas.
He did not have a good day yesterday and so he is back to just kibble and a variety of snacks (fruit,pb,cheese bits,etc) as ususal. I have tried to move away from the kibble several times over the years but his digestive system just can't seem to handle it. We had a Great walk this morning thou...that is a good thing. :D

Orli

Post by Orli » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:05 pm

I have been tweaking Pereg's diet for quite a while now and I think I have finally gotten to what suits her. Unfortunately it is not stopping her seizures but is making her a happier dog.

After her Pb was increased she went 7 weeks and 2 days seizure free. Then five weeks. And then another one last Sunday morning after just two weeks. My vet does not want to increase the dosage of Pb or add anything until she has been on Pb for 12 months, providing she does not start seizing more frequently. In that case he would like to refer her to a canine neurologist but as the only major canine hospital here is in Jerusalem and I do not have a car, there is no way I could manage, let alone afford, to take her by taxi.

Nor could I pay for any MRI or LP - and would not put her through that in any case as what would it show? And what could be done?

I want Pereg to be happy in between seizures, whether it be seven weeks, five weeks, or just two weeks.

And she is happy. The alarm clock goes off twice a day for her Pb and she shoots into the kitchen ready for it. And I sing to her "Pereg wants her medicine, Pereg wants her medicine, Pereg wants her medicine to make her better".

She is on 50mg Pb morning and 25mg evening, with now a 400mg SAMe tablet in the morning with her Pb. I add Taurine powder and powdered Milkthistle added to her main, and now only the one meal, which is maybe 1/3 low fat kibble, 1/3 pureed vegetables, and 1/3 raw meat.

Bones she gets as raw chicken wings or large chunks of raw turkey necks - bought fresh and frozen and given to her frozen. Either during the morning if she is hungry, or a late evening snack.

I also give her raw egg [and the crushed shell] a couple of times a week. And fish [lightly poached] maybe once a week. Sometimes a tin of sardines.

Supplements apart from Taurine, SAMe and Milkthistle are 2 x Brewers Yeast tables/day, 1 x Omega 3 fish oil softgel, 1 x Vitamin E200 softgel and 1 x Garlic oil softgel a day.

She also has 2 Canine Complex Multi-Vitamin and Mineral supplements a day.

And she is happy.

The duration and strength of her seizures has lessened slightly, and the post ictal period is not quite as bad, but then it usually takes a couple of chicken wings and chunks of turkey necks to satiate her incredible post ictal hunger and then settle her down.

Who knows what is or is not helping her?

But she is happy and that is the most important thing.

I think.
Keep me going

But then
It would be
So boring

Jeff Williams

Post by Jeff Williams » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:30 am

great topic, i learnt a lot from you :D