Healthy Mobility vs Sweet Potato and Salmon

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

mandyleigh

Healthy Mobility vs Sweet Potato and Salmon

Post by mandyleigh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:33 pm

Currently I'm feeding:

Nellie (5 yo female greyhound mix) gets Science Diet Healthy Mobility for large breed dogs. For snacks she gets raw sweet potatoes and carrots.

Tanner (4 yo lab mix) gets Science Diet dd Sweet Potato and Salmon. For snacks she gets raw sweet potatoes and carrots as well as science diet hypoallergenic treats. Tanner switched to this food after developing a food allergy to Science Diet Lite and being on it for less than 4 days. She seems to be doing good on this.

My question is this...Nellie is 12 weeks seizure free today. Would she be better served staying on the healthy mobility or should I slowly switch her to the sweet potato and salmon? I'm in the process of decreasing her phenobarb to try to increase her motor coordination and maintain her being seizure free and am a bit hesitant to change multiple things at the same time.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Carolyn

Re: Healthy Mobility vs Sweet Potato and Salmon

Post by Carolyn » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Sorry I am not a fan of Science Diet there is rosemary in it so I don't know if you want to risk it, I have heard it can be a trigger. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 1064&cat=6
I don't know if the link will work but I like to check foods out on the Dog Food Analysis site.
I ended up switching Kiya to Natural Balance original recipe and now I am back to Kirkland, both are 3 star with decent ingredients.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15