Changing Food to Wellness Core?

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Mirrorakay

Changing Food to Wellness Core?

Post by Mirrorakay » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:31 pm

Riku is currently being fed Nutro Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice. He has been eating this for about four years now and seems to do relatively well on it. I switched him to this food when I discovered that he had a chicken allergy. Riku also has a notoriously sensitive stomach so I've always been worried about switching his food. However, in the last year or two he put on about two extra pounds he really couldn't afford to have with his bad knee.

As many people have experienced, the phenobarb put a whole new twist on that number that used to be only a spare pound or two. Instead of weighing his ideal 24-25lbs Riku is now at 30.5 and still climbing. Per vet's instruction Riku now only gets a 1/2 cup in the morning and evening to try and get his weight down; he also eats no-salt-added canned green beans as a snack to fill him up (he has a terrible overbite that has led to many incidences of choking if the food is not extremely soft which is why he gets canned green beans; his food is soaked in water for an hour before he is fed as well).

So, I'm curious if Wellness Core Ocean would be something that would be a better choice of food for him and if getting some of the filler out of his diet (Nutro has a lot of fillers from what I've read) would help his weight be a bit more manageable.

Also, if you have any other food to recommend I would greatly appreciate it!
Riku's Mom
First seizure: 5/13/11
Last seizure: 9/22/11

smrowley

Re: Changing Food to Wellness Core?

Post by smrowley » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:41 am

Hi,

I'm new to this site, but just wanted to give you my input from dealing with s-monsters for 2 years. Yes, Wellness Core reduced fat isnanhighly recommended kibble for epis as it has a 10 percent max fat and very little fillers, but it is chicken. Imcan tell you this too. I was trying to get 2-3 lbs off my Molly pug to help her breathing and found that between the wellness core and actually adding 2 heaping tablespoons of home cooking, she lost weight as well as all my other 4 pugs!

I do the chicken,green beans (not canned), sweet potatoes, white potatoes, carrots as the main. I cook potatoes, drain well to get rid of starch, cook rest and run thru chopper and freeze. Sometimes I add cranberry, or blueberry, squash, spinach, cooked eggs just to vary and ensure they're getting other nutrients. I freeze by 3 day supply portions. You'd want to use something besides chicken-- lamb or whatever your pup likes and isn't allergic to!

Home cooking and kibble mix has been the key to our weight control here!

Susan, epi Ally, and Cinco pugs