CHICKEN TREAT WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

richmauer

CHICKEN TREAT WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by richmauer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Here is the link to the article:

http://tinyurl.com/7ua59w5

I posted this on the forum:

I have an 11 year old English Cocker female and an 11 year old Shitzu male. I have been giving them Wagon Train treats bought at Costco for about 5 years. In fact, when the 2008 incidents happened, I called and they said it wasn’t their treats and they are safe. Duh! About 6 months ago, my cocker started to have a Parkinson type tremble in her right rear leg. It would shake anytime she was standing still. About a month ago, she threw up bile and chicken tenders on a Saturday morning. She had been drinking alot more water lately. After she threw up, she didn’t eat for a whole week. We, of course, didn’t give her any treats, after we read the recent warnings.
We were feeding her water and mashed up chicken in broth through a syringe. More or less force feeding her. She lost about 5 pounds over that week, which was about 20% of her weight. After a week, she started eating again and now she is back to her normal eating pattern and she has gained back her weight. She also has stopped trembling!!!!!!!!!!
I am 100% positive it was the Waggin Train treats. And by the way, we only would give her the recommended number of treats per day, so the company’s assertion is plain BS. They almost killed my baby. I alerted my vet and passed on this article.

This just shows how important diet is and how it can affect your dog. My cocker is not epileptic, so it is even more critical with your epi-pups. Please pass this on to all your friends. This happened in 2008 the first time, and now many dogs (I heard 400), have died from this current chicken treat epidemic.
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

Carolyn

Re: CHICKEN TREAT WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Carolyn » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Since Kiya's seizures began I look at a lot of things differently now. Not only do you have to be concerned about treats, you have to look at toys, food/water bowls that are made in other countries.
I read a story about some one that brought dog toys to be tested at some place they were offering to do tests on childrens toys or something of the sort. They found that the dogs products contained the same harmful ingredients.
As they say "Buyer be ware".
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

richmauer

Re: CHICKEN TREAT WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by richmauer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Update on the chicken jerky:

http://tinyurl.com/7z2g7ze

A petition all should add their name to:

http://tinyurl.com/6rsgdow
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"