How can I create a natural and healthy diet?

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

andremichel1

How can I create a natural and healthy diet?

Post by andremichel1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:35 am

I want to be able to provide me lab with a healthy and natural diet, but without going down the raw feeding route, does anyone have any suggestions?

seebr5640

Re: How can I create a natural and healthy diet?

Post by seebr5640 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:27 am

I have not tried home feeding on Sampson yet.

Here's a link that provides home feeding for epi's.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... y_diet.htm

Barb & Sampson

cesullivan

Post by cesullivan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:15 pm

I've just finished doing a bunch of research on home cooking for my seizure pup...I decided on fresh fetch pet foods for a trial run to see if it helps. I'll try 6 weeks and see what happens (ordered food yesterday). Expensive, but since I'm tapering Cali of her meds because they are not working (with vet neuro approval), I need to try something.

The other thing I found was a website that is run by vet nutritionists...yes, they try to sell you a supplement, but it balances out the food to make sure the food you feed contains the appropriate nutrition. You pick the food, they give you the recipie.

https://secure.balanceit.com/info/howitworks.php?
Cali 4YO female Lab/Chow mix
Cluster Grand Mals
Last Seizure: June 10, 13
Pheno 64MG 2x/day
Kbrovet 1,650MG 1x/day

Foster Dog Jim 3ishYO Lab
Pheno 140MG 2x/day
KBrovet 1,000MG 2x/day
Keppra XR 500MG 2x/day
Zonisamide 200MG 2x/day

alo_fra

Post by alo_fra » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:33 am

Cooking at home is the best choice.
http://www.dotto.me/blog/

Margot Gordon

Post by Margot Gordon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:56 pm

A Gluten Free diet has completely gotten rid of my dogs seizures - so far! He's been almost 6 months without a seizure after having had them for over 2 years.

Margot Gordon

Post by Margot Gordon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:58 pm

A Gluten Free diet has completely gotten rid of my dogs seizures - so far! He's been almost 6 months without a seizure after having had them for over 2 years.

The gluten free food that I feed him is called Pulsar (Chicken Flavoured).

Lovelight

Post by Lovelight » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:09 am

When My Buttercup was a puppy, she had food sensitivities where if she ate dog food, she'd develop acne all over her face, chin, even above her eyes. And she was miserable when she'd have acne breakout. I tried many many foods (most considered high quality) and most resulted the same. She is a very picky eater, always has been.

Since she was a year old (she's now almost 5 years old), I found Dr. Harvey's Canine Health and Veg to Bowl both fine ground, which after she eats, her fur gets very soft, like cashmere. No other food does that, so I feel if it makes her fur full, soft, not as much shedding, it must do good on her insides. No breakouts since. She does nibble on Merrick's grain free and that is the only one kibble that does not give her acne or upset her tummy. She will eat more of the kibble after seizure episodes (you know that hunger thing where they will eat anything), so I have some Merrick's on hand.

Dr. Harvey's Canine Health does offer blends with grains or just veggies. I find she digests the veggies better with the fine ground., but I allow it to steep in boiling water longer than 8 minutes. I find that is necessary. You reconstitute the veggies and add a protein (usual meats and or eggs, tofu, it has a list of suggestion) and oil/fat (which can be flax oil, olive oil, borage oil or other quality oil). I'm able to vary her meats->pork, chicken, beef etc., and the meat can be raw or cooked. She loves her food. It is easy to follow. Her vets know I use this predominately, and they have no issues with it and when she has her neuro appointment in Feb (first consult), I'll re-check her diet with the neuro then.

https://www.drharveys.com/products/dogs ... x-for-dogs

here is information about ingredients:
https://www.drharveys.com/blog/post/68- ... ur-mission

saniya

Post by saniya » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:30 am

There are many ways to get healthy body.
Healthy eating is a best way to get healthy body .always try to keep natural diet and never go for any supplements.
always eat cereals grains and fresh vegetables .
eat food with less fat and never eat too much try to clean and fresh.