This is awful

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Michelle Young

This is awful

Post by Michelle Young » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:10 pm

The phenobarbital seems to be controlling his seizures and shaking, I haven't seen him seize in over a week. He is coming around personality wise, but now the hunger has begun. I got home from work at about 12pm today and he has been whining and barking non stop, looking for food. I don't know what to do. I gave him a couple of biscuits and he gobbled them up, but he's acting like he hasn't eaten in days. I tried to offer him some carrots and green beans, but he wouldn't eat them. Should I feed him early, or be strict and make him wait until dinner and start feeding him 2X a day, with green beans or something else thrown in to help him fill up?

seebr5640

Re: This is awful

Post by seebr5640 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi Michelle,

The extra hunger from the Phenobarbital should ease up in about 4 weeks. It varies from dog to dog.

Feeding 2, 3 or even 4 times a day could help. Just take what you normally feed him for a whole day and divide it into how many times you want to feed. Just watch for weight gain. Of course, if a little weight is gained, you can try and get the weight off once the hunger pain eases up. Feeding baby carrots and green beans in between is a good idea, if you can get him to eat them.

Hang in there, the excessive hunger will not last forever.

Barb & Sampson

SpencerBhumi

Post by SpencerBhumi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi Michelle,

The Phenobarb hunger is a problem however it should settle down over time, but as Barb wrote, it varies from dog to dog.

Thirst, drink, wee: thirst, drink, wee: could be another issue you might encounter.

I had always fed my dogs morning and evening so I added a lunch for a while. The morning and evening feeds have become strict 12 hourly with Spencer’s 12 hourly medications (+/- an hour), and snacks in between.

Be careful with insatiable hunger that your dog does not steal food from the house, and that he does not resort to eating foreign objects – I speak with experience on disposable nappies and soiled clothing; both items disrupted Spencer's medication which sent him into a diabolical cluster requiring hospitalisation. Both encounters were costly and the IV re-loading sent Spencer zombie for several weeks. Be vigilant and do not become complacent.

And again, be strong and be patient.

Regards,
Trevor & Spencer.
Grateful for the good days, weeks (months).

Michelle Young

Post by Michelle Young » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:24 pm

No luck getting him to eat carrots or green beans just yet. He eats around them. My dogs usually get one meal a day, I will try to start with 2 meals a day, dinner and breakfast. I am going to try giving him a kong with peanut butter in it at night to keep him quiet in his crate. (he was whiney and barky for an hour after we went to bed last night, its okay for now, but my sister-in-law and her 4-year-old live with us and have been gone for the weekend. We HAVE to find a way to keep him quiet. :( He's been on the Phenobarbital for (it will be 2 weeks this next Tuesday). Since Wednesday before last no seizures and the shaking and gradually stopped. Initially he was drowsy all the time. Now he's either very hungry or extremely hyper and needy. Anyone else experience this change?