Busy Bones

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Michelle Young

Busy Bones

Post by Michelle Young » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:04 pm

My dog Weiner had been doing well on his Phenobarbital, we recently increased the dose because even though we were seeing good results he was not in the therapeutic range. On Saturday evening my husband and I were watching a movie and we handed out Busy Bones to the pups. A few hours later Weiner had a grand mal seizure. We administered Valium and he came right out of it. After that we was extremely hyperactive. The next day he had 3 more grand mal seizures, he treated once with Valium, and once with extra pheno(out of Valium). I took him to the dr first thing Monday morning. (his seizures were short but intense and excruciating to watch). The Dr. said to add Potassium Bromide to the mix. All I can think of is that the only major change, is that he had that busy bone. Later research showed that busy bones are the list of treats reported to have caused illness (diarrhea, vomiting, seizures and death). So, the long and short of it is add those treats to the list of crap not to give your dog. I am suspicious that there may have been some toxins in the Busy Bones that contributed to his seizures.

beaglemum

Re: Busy Bones

Post by beaglemum » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi Michelle,

Sorry to hear that Weiner has had a bout of clusters. It can be worrying when their seizure pattern changes. I haven't heard of busy bones, but I do tend to stay away from those chewy dog treats for that reason. Thanks for sharing that information.

All the best.
Roxanne & Saxon (beagle)
2 Nov 2004 - 1 Mar 2015
1st Seizure 9th August 2008
Last 21st Feb 2015
100mg Phenomav BID
200mg Zonisamide BID
7000mg milk thistle