new to all these meds

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

phanofheelers

new to all these meds

Post by phanofheelers » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:23 pm

my ACD ghost has been diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy in early october, phenobarbital was controlling the seizures at first, went into full clusters last week, they are under control now. But his new regiment of drugs include 2 phenobarbital and 1.5 potassium bromide twice daily then 1.5 keppra 3 times daily. This is for now until we start scaling back. But this dog wants to eat like a horse he will try to eat anything hes still adjusting to meds and the stack of drugs to stop the seizures so hes not moving or even walking at this point which I know is normal, I give him blue wilderness kibble and wet food. I guess my question is i'm scared to deviate from this food due to the bromide. I can feed him 4 times a day which may help could I give him some carrots to help curb that appetite. what things have some of you tried to help the crazy urge to eat?

Aggie

Re: new to all these meds

Post by Aggie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:13 am

Hi, I'm new to all of this also, but a lot of people recommend baby carrots or green beans as a filler.

That's a lot of meds to adjust to. Poor guy. How old is your dog?

My little guy has been put on phenobarbital only as of last week, and his appetite is a concern to me also. He is a rescue dog who loves to eat in general, but he's been noticeably hungrier these last few days. He is 6 years old and we got him when he was 2. He's had seizures the whole time ( about 4 a year) but recently they became more frequent (5 in 9 weeks) so he was put on the meds last Wednesday. He is starting to snap out of the lethargy, but then his appetite picked up.

In the future I guess you could consider a lower calorie food, but I understand not wanting to throw a new diet into the mix at this point.

moffattk

Post by moffattk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:57 pm

I started making the oatmeal muffins for Kirby, as he got hungry. I make them into 1 tbspn size balls and feed them off and on due to how hungry he is. The oatmeal seems to be a good belly filler and he seems to really like them. I got the recipe off the epi-guardian angel site. He now has to be on an extremely low fat diet, and these were approved by my vet.

Karen and epi Kirby
97.2 mg Pb Bid
250mg KBr in the am, 500 mg KBr in the evening

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:35 pm

hi ... I'm new to meds tooo ... we are only on Keppra/valium at this point but curbing hunger or controlling weight is the same whether your on the meds or not when you need a filler without calories ... I have used raw carrots and canned green beans in the past when needed to control weight without my buds feeling like I'm intentionally trying "starved them to death" ... hope all is well and this helps ...
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

cecilia

Post by cecilia » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Since being on Pheno and Keppra as of October last year, my Bronson has gained three pounds. I know that thirst and hunger are listed as side effects of the Pheno. He's not over weight so I won't worry yet, just going to keep an eye on that. He is on all natural grain free/gluten free dog foods and treats now...nothing artificial at all.
Bronson: 5 year old Poodle/Bichon Rescue pup
First Seizure: Oct. 22, 13' after taking Trifexis
Last Seizure: April 18, 14' 9:26 a.m.
Meds: Keppra 100 mg-1.7 mils. every 8 hours
Pheno: 16.2 MG every 12 hours
Zonasamide 50 mg every 12 hours

KMarg

Post by KMarg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:58 pm

I feed Blue, grain free also. Grain seems to have ill effects on my dog, Kaiser. I also make the wet food following the recipe from the Angel site.

I am new to the site and this is my first post. I notice every one has info in their signature line so I guess I better go find rules and figure out what to do.

For now, Kaiser is 3 years old. Seizures started last July, at the age of 2. He is currently taking Keppra, Pheno and KBromide.
Kaiser & KMarg
Kaiser is a Ger. Shep./Border Collie mix
Born Nov/Dec 2011
First seizure July 1, 2013
Last Seizure July 26, 2017
PhenoBar, 1 grain, 2x daily
Keppra, 750 mg, 2x daily
KBro, 750 mg, 2x daily
CBD/thc only since July 8, 2017

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi KMarg,

Welcome to the board ... and sorry you had to be here too all at the same time, at least here you'll be among friends who are going thru all the same issue's with tons of help whether it's be informational or emotional support :D

If you go to "User Control Panel" at the top of the page ... then "Profile" on the left side of the page ... and finally to "Edit Signature" again on the left side of page and you'll be able to add all the info.

This information is helpful to all who might be able to glean useful insight into what other's are doing to help their precious fur family members ... that's why it's so important for others to know things like age, weight, what med's, dosages, and how often ...

Wishing you and Kaiser only the best of the best seizure free control ... keep us posted ... ♥

Chris
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Esmo

Post by Esmo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:58 pm

We are actually having the opposite problem. Maggie's appetite is way off. Today for example, she refused any of the usual food we use to get her pills down her and I ended up having to manually administer them, which is so stressful for both of is. She would not eat anything this morning or after noon. She finally ate a little of the bland wet food from the vet and took her pills with a combination of peanut butter and chicken. 30 minutes later threw everything back up, so we re-administered and we will see if she keeps it down.

We are trying everything we can think of-but she is very unpredictable in what she will eat. I think right now she is pre-seizure as there is a lot of petit mal behavior. We are tag teaming so she is never home alone. The only predictable about this disease is the unpredictability.
Esmo and Maggie
Dachshund/Beagle Mix
Rescued 12/16/13
First seizure 1/31/13
Last seizure 9/23/14
48 mg of Phenobarbital 2x day
150 mg of Zonisamide 2x day
500 mg of LevetiracetamER (Keppra) 2x day
200 mg of Gabapentin 3x day

KMarg

Post by KMarg » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm so happy to have found this forum and to be here. To be able to read the stories and advice of others is very helpful and gives me hope for a long future with my Kaiser.
Kaiser & KMarg
Kaiser is a Ger. Shep./Border Collie mix
Born Nov/Dec 2011
First seizure July 1, 2013
Last Seizure July 26, 2017
PhenoBar, 1 grain, 2x daily
Keppra, 750 mg, 2x daily
KBro, 750 mg, 2x daily
CBD/thc only since July 8, 2017

charbas7

Post by charbas7 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:29 pm

I am new to this, as my bulldog started w seizures 2 wks ago. I am finding comfort in reading these posts as others share experiences. Prednisone is part of our regimen, along w phenobarbital and keppra. My dog is up all night w the typical prednisone s effects(panting, thirst, hunger). I usually give pill around 6/7pm. Any suggestions on how to deal/lessen these side effects? Thanks!