Potatoes and Seizures

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Nancy Bartol

Potatoes and Seizures

Post by Nancy Bartol » Wed Apr 25, 2001 5:21 pm

Has there been any research looking into a relationship between potatoes and seizures?
Have any owners noticed a relationship?

Any suggestions on how to conduct a mini-study for a breed where some owners report a relationship?

Liz Hansen
Site Admin

Post by Liz Hansen » Thu Apr 26, 2001 8:10 am

Hi Nancy,
I haven't heard of any studies, but Dr Patterson or O'Brien can better answer that.

On the epi chat lists I'm on, I do know there are several dogs who are on diets that include potato and/or sweet potato, and the owners feel the dog does BETTER eating potatoes than whatever they previously were eating. Like most everything else, this probably has a lot of individual variation.

Ned Patterson DVM

Post by Ned Patterson DVM » Mon Apr 30, 2001 12:10 pm

Nancy,

I don't know of any research into potatoes and seizures, and I can't think of any likely physiological mechanism unless the cause of seizures was low blood sugar.

To be a valid study one would need a contolled, doubled blinded study in which 50% of the dogs were getting some form of potatoes and 50% were getting a placebo.

Nancy Bartol

Post by Nancy Bartol » Sun May 13, 2001 10:11 am

Thanks for comments. The one other association I've found about potatoes and seizures came from my sister, who worked with the Ketogenic Diet - she relays that potatoes are excluded from the diet due to too many carbs for ketosis.

Well, just in case --- my guys don't get MacDonald's french fries any more!

Nancy

Parkersheart

Re: Potatoes and Seizures

Post by Parkersheart » Thu May 13, 2010 4:34 pm

I know that this is an old post. But, I'd like to contribute. During the 7 month period that Parker was seizure free, I feed him sweet potatoes everyday for his treats. I always had the canned in with the syrup, I always drained the syprup out. I also, had fresh baked ones. I did this because I wanted him to have treats and since I didn't give him bones because I wasn't sure if it hurt him I gave the sweet potates. I feed him Rachel Raes dogfood during this time as well.