Raw Food/Blood Sugar

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Esmo

Raw Food/Blood Sugar

Post by Esmo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:11 pm

As I have posted previously we have been struggling with getting Maggie to eat, nothing was tempting her and when she did eat a little of anything, she was throwing it back up, sometimes with her undigested medications. At the end of my rope and grasping at the fact that she still did like some freeze dried raw treats, I picked up some food of the same type from the same manufactuer - Stella and Chewey. It has been like night and day, she can't wait to eat and a lot of the tremoring behavior we were seeing, which I attributed to petit mal pre-seizure episode behavior has abated.

The other thing that occurred to me is could she have been reacting to low-blood sugar? Do dogs get hypoglycemic? As an experiment we are now feeding her 3x a day instead of 2x. She is supposed to get 5 1/2 of the "biscuits" per day - We are giving two in the morning, one at noon and then 2 1/2 at night. I guess we'll see.

In a side note - we also have an elderly cat whose appetite had fallen off dramatically and she was losing significant weight. I tried her on the Stella and Chewey freeze dried cat food and she is eating.

I have now ordered both of them food through Amazon (considerably cheaper than the natural pet food store) - so it will probably be just my luck and they will both decide not to like it anymore- kind of like when my kids were young and I'd finally buy the big box of cereal at Costco and then they no longer wanted to eat it!

Here's wishing everyone a quiet and calm 4th of July week-end.

Kathy
Esmo and Maggie
Dachshund/Beagle Mix
Rescued 12/16/13
First seizure 1/31/13
Last seizure 9/23/14
48 mg of Phenobarbital 2x day
150 mg of Zonisamide 2x day
500 mg of LevetiracetamER (Keppra) 2x day
200 mg of Gabapentin 3x day

tedeasters

Re: Raw Food/Blood Sugar

Post by tedeasters » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:47 am

My Missy is so poor....
Last edited by tedeasters on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

tedeasters

My Missy is also struggling to eat every time I give her cat food. She's really skinny now and I can see the bones making her skin ache! :( I can't get her to the vet, cause she seems to be really tired and weak. Accidentally, I came across a post by Dr. Trisha McKensy when I looked for the info how to write a proper essays on Veterinary and Animal Care. Dr. MCKensy suggester raw cereals. Don't know what to give Missy now.

tedeasters

Can't make up my mind.... Do I have to give her raw cereals....