Acceptable I can give treats?

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Sherryp

Acceptable I can give treats?

Post by Sherryp » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:34 am

Hi are there any chew treats that are safe for my newly diagnosed dog? I have several different treats from Best Bully Stick (braided gullet, chicken jerky etc) and I keep them in the freezer as they clam to have no preservatives - but after reading several posts about treats Im wondering if I should cut out all treats like this? Is there anything I can give him to keep him busy? I give a marrow bone couple times a week with most of the marrow scooped out (very fattening) is that a no no now too? I also stuff re-stuff the marrow bones with yogurt, honey, peanut butter, pumpkin, veggies etc - is that not good to do anymore either? I want to do the best I can for him - hate him going thru this UGH

ShilohsMom

Re: Acceptable I can give treats?

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:08 am

Some dogs will have sensitivity to certain things or their seizures can be triggered by grains or rosemary. I'm fortunate that Shiloh doesn't seem to be bothered by anything I give him to eat. I don't give him bones because he's such an aggressive chewer I've always been paranoid about the splinters getting in his system and poking him. He doesn't get rawhides cause I'm afraid he'll choke on them. He doesn't get jerky either because of the issue it's had in the news and not just the China stuff. Yes, I know, I'm a scare :D dy cat! He does get fruits (no grapes) & veggies which he loves. If I want to keep him busy I have a Kong and fill that with peanut butter and veggies. Yogurt, especially a little bit of Greek Yogurt is good for their digestive system.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Eley's Mom

Post by Eley's Mom » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:59 am

We give our dogs Nylabones. We get the ones for the powerful chewers which seem to keep them occupied for a while.

As extra treats, Eley loves her veggies. She gets carrots, sugar snap peas, and green beans (fresh). I'll give her other fruits and veggies sometimes just to change it up a little.
Diana & Eley
Boston Terrier (23 lbs)
DOB: 11/12/09
First Seizure 2/8/14
Last Seizure 10/9/16
Phenobarbital 48.6mg (morning), 56.7mg p.m. (night)
3 mL Potasium Bromide, once daily
Clorazepate as needed after seizures

Sherryp

Re: Acceptable Can I give treats?

Post by Sherryp » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Thank You all for the replies! I have every nylabone imaginable. He just won't chew it. He will eat a few frozen green beans and frozen bananas but they poo poos them. I'll just be careful what I give. Ty again!

TeriZ

Post by TeriZ » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:55 pm

I only ever became cautious about the treats I give my epileptic dog after we started her on Potassium Bromide and I heard that her salt intake could change the medication's effectiveness. Now, she doesn't get nearly the amount of treats she used to. Instead, I got her a Kong toy and fill it with her regular dog food. It's still fun for her, but I have piece of mind knowing it's nothing to worry about.
Sophie - 2yr Lab mix
DOB - 1/29/2013
First seizure - 9/5/2013
Most recent seizure - 3/7/2015
Meds - Phenobarb 1gr 3/4 tab BID
Potassium Bromide 500mg 1 tab AM

Glory

Post by Glory » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:39 am

I give my dog Himalayan treats--the only thing she can chew on that lasts and does not make her nauseous or get devoured in minutes. She also seems to like buffalo horns and sometimes antlers. Food does not seem to affect her epilepsy, but I try to keep most food and treats grain free. She has no interest in vegetables or fruit. I stuff old marrow bones (uncooked) with pumpkin, plain yogurt and natural peanut butter and freeze them. She loves these, but they don't last long, even frozen.
Glory---6-year-old Boxer (55 pounds)
First seizure 11/17/13
Last seizure 7/23/15
PB 97.2 mg BID
Keppra 1075 mg TID
300 Zonisamide BID
Soloxine 5mg BID
Valium as needed to control clusters

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:38 pm

In the beginning of this journey I kept Winston on his regular diet and treats. When the seizures continued I did some research and put him on grain free food. I bought him a rawhide one day and he had a seizure within an hour. Maybe he was going to seize anyway but I cut out the treats except for Sam's yams, all natural grain free biscuits and fruits and veggies. He loves peanut butter and apples which we all now snack on at night! I forgot to buy his kibble and the store was closed. I bought a small bag of grain free food at the grocery to hold him over until the next day. Again he seized that night. It's hard to know what drives seizures but just pay attention to your dog. I can tell you I will never run out of kibble again!
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed