Xylitol Alert

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Gentle Jacob's mom

Xylitol Alert

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:29 am

Hi Everyone,
One of our local stations released an alert from NC State about Xylitol in peanut butter. It is very dangerous for all pets, but especially our epileptic dogs because it can cause seizures and much worse. I know a lot of us use peanut butter to coax our dogs to take their meds so please check and make sure that Xylitol or as it is sometimes called Birch Sugar, isn't in the ingredients. If you're not sure I would stop using the peanut butter until you can find out from the manufacturer if it it is safe.
I can't believe they would start adding such a toxic ingredient that pet owners often feed their pets...
Lynne

I found this online:

UPDATE #3 (August 6, 2015): The list of peanut and nut butters containing xylitol that we have uncovered has now grown to FIVE! We have reached out to all of them to discuss this dog hazard and to secure increased awareness on their product packaging and websites. We will continue to keep you updated with progress. Here are the five companies (in alphabetical order): (1) Go Nuts, Co., (2) Hank's Protein Plus Peanut Butter, (3) Krush Nutrition, (4) Nuts 'N More, and (5) P28. While these are "specialty butters" that are mostly sold in nutrition stores and online (currently), the subtle presence of xylitol in these butters definitely highlights the importance of reading ingredient labels on products you bring into your home, and especially doing so prior to sharing anything with your pets and if your pets ever get into anything they shouldn't have.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Xylitol Alert

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:37 am

I also found this so we'd better check our fish oils too. Or anything saying it's sugar free.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/xylitol/

Lynne