Smoking Links to Epilepsy?

Questions about the influence of diet and metabolism on seizures.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Margaret

Smoking Links to Epilepsy?

Post by Margaret » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:33 am

I stopped smoking about a year ago, and noticed that my standard poodle's last seizure coincided with my smoking cessation. He is on phenobarbitol, but I am wondering if there are any links between second hand smoke and canine epilepsy. Thanks, Meg

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:17 pm

I specifically asked this question of our canine neuro when True became epileptic. She said that "no" smoking and our dogs having seizures is not connected.

Parkersheart

Re: Smoking Links to Epilepsy?

Post by Parkersheart » Tue May 18, 2010 3:26 pm

HI
I strongly disagree. I am not a vet. but, let's face it some vets know little about epi.
I don't smoke but, I posted in another post about scents, I noticed that when Parker was around strong smells of any kind he seized.
I switched everything I could possibly think of to unscented and his seizures lessened. He went on for 7 months seizure free. before he passed.
I used unscented laundry det.,(all det, unscented) personal items , deo. poo, conditioner. cleaning solutions method and seventh generation have unscented. Mr cleans eraser.
Note: unscented with botanicals did not work, they contained plant extracts which I felt bother him (a lot of sneezing) Also, fabric softer and those dryer sheets unscented still were bad for him, they seem to bother him.
I did use some mild scents, but I watered them down or put him outside ,shut the door etc.

Just want to give info. in case it helps someone. thanks.