Behavior before seizure

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Alliezig

Behavior before seizure

Post by Alliezig » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi -
Ziggy had his last seizure on 1/10/17 and just when I was feeling hopeful he had a seizure on 2/11/18 but before he had a strange episode on Saturday 2/10/18 - Ziggy self crated; was very fearful of going outside and managed to scratch a very deep spot on his shoulder; after the seizure early Sunday morning, he has stopped scratching and is no longer so fearful. However he is now on a short term Clavamox dosage as he scratched a big area on his shoulder which the vet had to shave. Are dogs prone to indicating with odd behavior a prequel to a seizure? If so, would it be helpful to increase his meds when the odd behavior is occurring. I plan to address this with my vet but her only response to his 2/11/18 seizure was to increase his Keppra by 250 mg a day up from 500 mg 2x a day and 1 gram of Phenobarbital 2 x a day.
Mary Lou and Ziggy
1000 mg Keppra 3 x day; 1.5 grams Phenobarbital 2 x day

Box40Rin

Re: Behavior before seizure

Post by Box40Rin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:20 am

Good morning,

I'm one of the moderators of this forum and a retired veterinarian. Seems to me you have diagnosed this behavior correctly. I think you are seeing an "aura" that occurs prior to a seizure. Having had a dog with seizures I know how this goes. Generlly it is some aberrant behavior, sometimes triggered with a drop in barometric pressure. You should certainly take it up with your veterinarian but also watch for further signs of an impending seizure. Please keep us posted. We are interested. box40rin

dekeoboe

Re: Behavior before seizure

Post by dekeoboe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:53 am

Maggie knows when she is going to have a seizure and comes to tell me. The trick is understanding when she is telling me she is going to have a seizure and when she is just looking for attention. Too bad she can't talk. In any case, she does not give me enough of a warning to be able to give her any medication.