Seizures - food allergy

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Alliezig

Seizures - food allergy

Post by Alliezig » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:13 pm

My Ziggy, 6 years old, shepherd/lab mix, had his first seizure 12/13/17. He has had an MRI, spinal, etc. No cause was found. Prior to his first seizure, he had gone through a week of diarrhea, vomiting. I thought perhaps he had eaten something toxic but nothing was found in his blood, liver to indicate that. On 4/22/18 through 5/5/18 Ziggy became very ill. In addition to multiple seizures per day, he developed diarrhea and vomiting resulting in two visits to the ER, including one on 5/6/18 when he had vomiting and was hemorrhaging from the rectum. He spent the night in the ER on 5/6/18 and was transferred to his regular vet. His blood work showed a very high Eosinophil count - off the charts high. He started on Hills Z/D wet food and eventually Hills Z/D wet and dry. Ziggy is now doing fairly well and has not had a seizure since 5/5/18. I write this knocking on wood - I do not want to jinx this- however my question is there are some articles that indicate severe food allergies as a cause of seizures - I wanted to know if anyone had heard of such a thing.
I spoke to my vet today and she said to continue on the medication - 1000 mg Keppra 3 times a day and 1.5 grams of Phenobarbital 2 x a day. Her plan is to do another phenobarbital level test in October and then have me discuss medication with Ziggy's neurologist.

Mary Lou and Ziggy
Keppra 1000 mg 3 x a day; Phenobarbital 1.5 grams 2 times a day

KillysMama

Re: Seizures - food allergy

Post by KillysMama » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:46 pm

One thing we did with Killian was change his food.. he's had three food changes since his seizures started - this last change plus the addition of potassium bromide got us to 101 days the last round. He's on Nutrience dry - grain free with added MCT - three protein blend - and has the wet food formula for his pills and bromide. Because we changed it at the same time as we added the bromide, I'm not sure which feet to lay the results at - it could be a combo of both - but between May through to the end of July last year, he'd had approximately 35 seizures. Between May through the end of July this year - he's had 2. I definitely wouldn't discount the affect their food was having.
Lea and Killian
3 year old Barbet/Shepherd
1st Seizure 5/24/17
Last Seizure 7/16/18
We will not go gently.

Alliezig

Re: Seizures - food allergy

Post by Alliezig » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:54 pm

Thank you. Glad that Killian is doing so much better. I too am not discounting the food. I am going to keep Ziggy on the Z/D - it is a terrible food in that it is really not food and is incredibly expensive but he had 17 seizures between 12/23/17 and 5/5/18. Now he is okay except for the toll I fear all the medication is taking. Glad your food change is helping and thank you for letting me know your thoughts re food. In the many articles I have read I do think that the correlation with food is inconclusive but at least it is working for Killian and Ziggy.
Mary Lou and Ziggy
1000 mg Keppra 3 x day; 1.5 grams Phenobarbital 2 x day