Sudden drug price increase

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Crazy Dog Lady

Sudden drug price increase

Post by Crazy Dog Lady » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:43 am

Hello everyone....I'm new to this forum, but not new to canine epilepsy, unfortunately. I picked up my dog's Levetiracetum ER 750 mg prescription from Costco yesterday, and was shocked to learn that the price has risen from $147 a month to $277! Has anyone else experienced this? It's obvious this price increase has happened in the last 30 days. Now I'm concerned that the other two drugs she takes (Zonisamide and phenobarbital) will soon cost more, too. I would be interested to know if anyone else has been hit with a price increase for their dog's epilepsy meds.

Crazy Dog Lady

Re: Sudden drug price increase

Post by Crazy Dog Lady » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:02 am

After speaking to a pharmacist today, I can answer my own question. The cost of all generics is skyrocketing due to the implementation of Obamacare. Even a drug as old as phenobarbital is far more expensive now. Consider yourself warned the next time you fill your dog's prescription.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:40 pm

I just refilled Jake's Pb and generic Keppra at Walgreens. They have a program where you pay 25.00 a year and then get a big discount. I'd check there. His hasn't gone up at all. I'd heard earlier this year about the increases, but for now we're still paying $150.00 for Keppra 750's and $36.00 for 100 Pb.

Lynne

Crazy Dog Lady

Post by Crazy Dog Lady » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:07 pm

I called Costco to see if my girl's phenobarbital and Zonisamide were going up. The prices they quoted me were the same as last month, so that's good. I do recall a price increase on the pheno earlier this year. Lola takes four levetiracetum ER 750 mg twice a day, so we were getting a lot of medicine for $147 (now $277).

cleaver8

Post by cleaver8 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:36 pm

We experienced the same price increase several weeks ago at Walmart for neurontin (gabapentin). Price went from $12 for 180 pills to $48 for same number of pills. I returned the pills thinking there had been an error in pricing to be told the price was raised for pharmacies everywhere. The druggist was very understanding when I showed him previous receipts and he agreed to accept $15 for 180 pills as a "favor" to a good customer. I am very grateful but worry that the reduced price will not last. Cleaver 8 Cleveland

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi everyone,

My Molly's on generic regular Keppra given every 8 hours, today I asked the vet about the extended release Keppra that's given every 12 hours and was told it costs about $700.00 a month because it the real Keppra and they don't have a "generic" extended release Keppra ... anyone know if that's right?
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Crazy Dog Lady

Post by Crazy Dog Lady » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Chris, that's not right. The generic extended release Keppra is called levetiracetum ER. My dog takes a massive dose because she's a big girl, so I've been giving her four 750 mg tablets every 12 hours. The price was $147 before jumping to $277 at the beginning of October. I'm hoping that was an error, but I'm not going to stop using it because the twice a day dosing gave us our lives back. It's much better to medicate a dog twice a day than four times.

Crazy Dog Lady

Post by Crazy Dog Lady » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:55 pm

One more thought for you, Chris.....your dog is small and takes a small dose. It shouldn't be prohibitively expensive. We were giving my dog medicine four times a day before we found out the Keppra XR had gone generic (phenobarbital and Zonisamide every 12 hours, Keppra every 8). It is absolutely worth the extra money not to have to worry about the afternoon dose.

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:44 am

hi crazy dog lady,

thanks for the info. ... just yesterday I picked up another script of regular keppra from vet and asked her again if she had checked into the the generic keppra xr and was told that that wasn't possible ... I just said, "really? ... strange ... I can go online and get a coupon that I can print out for generic keppra xr 500mg 30 tablets for a "Rite Aide" store in another town for $27 something ... and I'd need 60 for a month so it'd be around $55.00" ... needles to say she wasn't very please with me for calling her hand ...

then I think what about if Molly cluster's ... then I wouldn't be able to give her the extra dose of Keppra if she's on the XR like I can now when she's on the regular keppra ... but then I think how the extended released would give her a more level amount of keppra in her system all 24 hours of the day without the high's and low's she must be going thru with regular keppra ... then I think about the difference between the $24.00 of regular keppra here in town verses the $55.00 of the extended and $20.00 of gas/$30.00 in the winter to go the the other town to get it ... sorry, goin' in circle's ...

thanks
Chris & Molly
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Crazy Dog Lady

Post by Crazy Dog Lady » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:59 am

Chris, this is purely anecdotal experience, but my dog's seizure frequency has lessened since we switched to extended release generic Keppra. Early this year, when she was on a massive dose of phenobarbital, Zonisamide and regular Keppra, she was seizing once every eight days or so and had to be hospitalized twice for cluster seizures. In the past six months, we have reduced her phenobarbital dosage a bit and switched to extended release Keppra. Her seizure frequency is now about one per month. In fact, she didn't even lose consciousness during her last seizure (she mainly suffers partials). I pray this pattern continues.

hockeyhound

Post by hockeyhound » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:28 am

I had the same issue this week with phenobarbital, it went from $40.00 to $120.00 from one quarterly sctipt (450 64.8 MG tams). I wen ton line and found a coupon from http://www.petdrugcard.com/phenobarbital-coupon.html. Brought in to Walgreens and they had to put in thr prescription and then the card, took about 5 minutes. New price $38.00.

I'm a little disappointed that my CVS told me to go find the best price and they would match it, that means they were making $82.00 on a script and wouldn't do the work to get me the best deal! Anyway, savings of $328.00 per year, That's a bunch.

Then I think about a kid with no insurance having to pay the Cash price. It just a little greedy

Thepetdrugcard seems to work well :| posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=3061#

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:53 pm

The drug prescription cards can be a lifesaver. I use the one from goodrx.com and it saves me a ton on Shiloh's Keppra.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Vselena

Post by Vselena » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:23 am

Hi there! I’ve just come across this topic and I’d like to share with you my thoughts about this problem. Yes, sudden drug price increase has hit all of us when we were not prepared for it. My old dog also has epilepsy and I can relate to those who came to the same pharmacy in a week and found the price on the same drug increase twice or even three times. It’s very annoying as everything tends to become more and more expensive so that emergency loans from this site https://personalmoneyservice.com/emergency-loans/ only help me stay afloat while my elderly parents have also have special medical needs. I’ve read here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5278914/ who is to blame in this problem and as far as I see the insurance industry, employers and even pharmaceutical companies have been affected by this drug price increase. I hope legislators will find the solution and stop this awful tendency.