CBD is a let-down...

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

jaragr

CBD is a let-down...

Post by jaragr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:07 am

We've been giving our dog CBD for about 9 months. He has grand-mal seizures, and the CBD was a last resort. He will go anywhere from 10-13 weeks. This past weekend he had a violent seizure - he was sound asleep. Seemed to last forever but probably didn't. Even when he was back on his feet he was walking in to the wall, in to the corners of the room and just standing there, so we know he couldn't see. Four hours later he had another one although not as bad. I had such high hopes with the CBD, but I felt such a let down when this happened. It was probably one of the worse ones he's had, and he is 14. So much for these high dollar CBD capsules - if the seizures are going to be that bad, it's a waste of money. :(

Chris Douglas

Re: CBD is a let-down...

Post by Chris Douglas » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:52 am

Hi jaragr,

I'm sorry to hear this but I'm sure you know that not all of anything is created equally ... that being said have you tried CBD oil? I have a friend with a seizure dog who has had tremendous results with oil 4 to 6 drops 3x daily. Unfortunately not all meds. and dogs respond the same ... what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Don't give or give in, stay strong ... prayers up
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

silver river

Post by silver river » Fri May 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Chris,
We are very interested in CBD oil as an alternative or supplemental treatment. Our Belgian weighs 75 lbs, you did not mention your dogs weight related to the 4 - 6 drops 3 times per day. We have not found much information related to dosage levels for CBD oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
D McGee

silver river

Post by silver river » Fri May 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Chis, spoke too soon I see that your dog is 27 lbs, how successful would you say the 4-6 drops has been, I.e. frequency and duration of seizures? Original question regarding dosage still applicable.

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:02 pm

Hello! Just saw your question to Chris regarding the CBD oil. We give our german shepherd mix a CBD capsule once a day. I get it from Holistapet, 600 mg. He is 15 years old now. He actually went 20 weeks this last time, had 2 seizures last weekend. They were mild compared to what we've seen from him. I don't know if it's the capsules or not, but we'll take it whatever it was. I don't know that anybody knows for sure the dosage to give our dogs. I have read that you can't overdose them so 2 a day might not hurt if needed. They just cost so much!

Tonysmom

Post by Tonysmom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Tony's seizures have been increasing in frequency since the beginning of this year. They were 38 days, 26 days, and 23 days apart until 3-18-19 when I started him on CBD oil.(Meta Labs, "organic extra virgin Cannabis Oil" $40/2oz). I started him on one drop three times a day with meals. His next seiaure was 56 days later so I increased to two drops three times a day,and his next was 42 days later. Then 0n 6-25-19, I gave him four to five drops three times a day (8 hrs. apart with meals
)and he hasn't had another seizure since so I am hopeful.
Tony is a 100 pound 7YO Labrador Retriever. He takes no other meds or supplemants except MCT oil (3T a day) His seizures usually last 1-2 minutes. (stiff on his side, legs running, mouth foaming, loses bladder and bowls, not himself the rest of the day.)

Tonysmom

Post by Tonysmom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:27 pm

Tony's seizures have been increasing in frequency since the beginning of this year. They were 38 days, 26 days, and 23 days apart until 3-18-19 when I started him on CBD oil.(Meta Labs, "organic extra virgin Cannabis Oil" $40/2oz). I started him on one drop three times a day with meals. His next seiaure was 56 days later so I increased to two drops three times a day,and his next was 42 days later. Then 0n 6-25-19, I gave him four to five drops three times a day (8 hrs. apart with meals
)and he hasn't had another seizure since so I am hopeful.
Tony is a 100 pound 7YO Labrador Retriever. He takes no other meds or supplemants except MCT oil (3T a day) His seizures usually last 1-2 minutes. (stiff on his side, legs running, mouth foaming, loses bladder and bowls, not himself the rest of the day.)

SpencerBhumi

Post by SpencerBhumi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:36 am

Hi Tonysmom,

This is incredibly encouraging news. I hope you continue with such good success.
I guess even if you a do experience some breakthrough seizures, these increased durations of respite will be heartening.

Wishing you well.

Trevor.