When to medicate

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Ace's mum

When to medicate

Post by Ace's mum » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:51 pm

My dog Ace has been having seizures for 2 years but can sometimes go 6 months but more often 3 months between seizures. He is not medicated and all blood testing is notmal - he has not had an MRI. In an odd coincidence my grandmother also has seizures and she was started on medication immediately - why is it different in dogs.
Standard poodle owner

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:34 am

It all depends on how frequently the dog has seizures.If you are not happy with the way you vet is treating your dog I would suggest that you find another vet. Maybe this vet does not know enough about CE to determine whether the dog needs medication. Have you found any corrolation between flea,tick or heartworm treatments as these can set of seizures.
How old is your dog? If around 2 it could be thyroid problems.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:52 am

does your dog have single seizures? or when it happens does he cluster?
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Ace's mum

Post by Ace's mum » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:27 pm

He began around the age of two and is now 4. Thyroid function is normal - he has single seizures which are 'textbook" grand mal (I know they are called something else now - but name escapes me at the moment). We have minimised his exposure to chemicals and can detect no trigger for the seizures. I am just worried about the damage done by the seizures over the long term - will he have a shortened life expectancy?
Standard poodle owner

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:39 am

What tests did you have done to determine that the thyroid function is normal. You need to get a D8T (6 panel test) done to determine the exact level of thyroid function. The usual tests carried out by the vets do do compare the same breed of dog but an overall comparison ie they will use the same results for a small breed (ie Terrier) to a giant breed (ie Mastiff) which have very different thyroid levels. Check out posting in diagnosis and testing for a thyroid level for different size dogs and ages.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux