Results of Stopping Jackson's KBr

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

High_Voltage_Head

Results of Stopping Jackson's KBr

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:22 am

This is still ongoing but wanted to give some preliminary results.

I stopped giving Jackson KBr cold turkey about 8 weeks ago because of bad side effects....vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, mega-esophagus (some of these may not have been related to the KBr...hard to say for sure).

I have read that the half life of KBr in the body is between 24-46 days (that's a wide range!), so that would mean he still has somewhere between 15-40% of the KBr in his system.

His seizure frequency is about the same as before...approx every 4 days although it varies from 1-8 days. He has not vomited during a seizure (or any other time) since stopping the KBr which is really good since he was aspirating it which caused pneumonia.

One kind of cool result is that he is dreaming again for the first time in years. I hadn't even noticed that he'd stopped until he started whining and crying in his sleep again, like they do when they're dreaming about bears or monsters chasing them, or whatever that is.

The neuro said the few months after stopping KBr will be a critical period to see how he reacts. It could be another few months before the KBr is totally out of his system but so far it's going great and i expect that to continue.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:49 am

Good luck with that Kurt. Hopefully, with the Pb and the Keppra it will be protection enough for Jackson that his seizures won't increase. I guess I can't blame you for wanting him off the drug even cold turkey, if it's making him sick.

Keep us updated.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:55 pm

DELETED

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:23 pm

Oh, thanks, but i didn't mean to imply that he's not doing well....he's doing great....except for this crazy licking thing he's got going on, and nobody has ever heard of it or knows what i'm talking about. He acts like someone put a huge glob of peanut butter in his mouth....lots of licking and swallowing and lip smacking. Then when he's not doing that, he's licking the carpet or the furniture or the car upholstery or his leg or if there's nothing available he just licks the air! It's driving me INSANE!

It's not any kind of seizure. My latest theory is that he fried his brain during that status episode last December and the part that got overcooked is connected to his taste buds. I just wish i could find some info on this behavior so i'd know what is going on.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:52 am

Could his licking be allergy related?
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:56 am

Hi There

Good luck with Jackson - lovely to hear that he is dreaming again, it does make you wonder the full effect of all these drugs on them.

Re the licking - I'm almost sure when I went through all the tests, this was something that the neuro asked if Poppy was doing.
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily