Surgery for Casey

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

lovemypups

Surgery for Casey

Post by lovemypups » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:31 pm

Evening everyone,
Casey is still doing very well on the Zonisimide, only one seizure since starting it Aug. 3rd. Lets hope our luck holds out a little longer. Casey has developed a huge (fist sized) knot on his right hip and is having trouble getting up. He had both of his hips operated on two years ago for hip dysplasia so I was very concerned about the recent swelling. After some xrays last night, and many, many apologizes from my vet, seems a sponge was left in his hip when he had the right hip operated on. So, its back to the vets tomorrow to try and remove the two year old gauze. It seems like Casey just doesn't get a break!
There was no way I could be mad, my vets are like my second family and
things happen. We've gone to them for almost 13 years and practically live there. They love Casey to death and will take very good care of him, even though I will be nervous until the surgery is over. Please say a little prayer that he sails through this with no problems.
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:47 pm

Yikes, the poor dog, that wouldn't make me too happy. But i think it's not all that uncommon. My brother's dog was also having hip surgery and they shaved the wrong leg and were about to operate on it when luckily my brother noticed and told them. Hope Casey pulls through ok without too much painful recovery.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Debbie and Casey - thinking and praying for you both.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:24 am

Too bad about the faux pas!! I guess canine medicine isn't much different than human medicine, they forget instruments and sponges in humans, too, and also operate on the incorrect sides of people. Still, no consolation when it happens to ourselves.

Here's hoping Casey will be fine, please keep us posted.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:40 am

Thats incredible, poor Casey. I would think there should be a substantial credit on your account to say the least.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:36 pm

Evening everyone,
Just a quick note, Casey did fine during the surgery and the sponge has been removed. He is resting, but very unhappy about having to wear that head gear (elizabethan collar) to keep him from removing the drains they have inserted in his side. Talk about a mess. Every time he tries to stand up, blood starts draining out so we have placed blankets in the bathroom for him to bleed on and give him a little room to move around. He will go back in Tuesday eve. to have the drains removed and then the following week, the stitches come out. He is a real trooper. Thank you all so much for the kind words and prayers and please give all those furkids extra big hugs from me. Thank you again (:
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:28 am

Great news that Casey is home and is doing ok - The drain things sound awful and messy, poor Casey, lets hope that he will be up and about soon.

I know what you mean about the collar! Poppy just had a tendon operation, and as she has a 'pointy' nose being greyhound/whippet we had to have a huge one! She freaked big time when we first put it on her!
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:57 am

glad to hear casey is doing ok. hope he heals quickly.
a friends dalmation had one of those collars, she sent me a pic of rudy standing at the patio door, he looked like a suction cup dog on a window. poor guy, couldn`t help but laugh
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:56 pm

DELETED