vet wants to wean off pb

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Post Reply
Dylans Dad
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:12 am
Location: SE Iowa
Contact:

vet wants to wean off pb

Post by Dylans Dad » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:29 am

went by the vet this am to get refills. dr thinks sence Dylan is on such a low dose and 11 months seizure free, we should get him off the pb and see how he does on the bromide alone.
great, the stress level was just dropping around here, so lets mess with a good thing and pump it back up.
I like that, see how he does thing. its not him jumping at every thump, or still keeping a cooler with an ice pack by the bed.
so cross your paws for us, ok?
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

lovemypups
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:08 pm
Location: KY

Post by lovemypups » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:35 pm

Hi Debby,
I'm so glad to hear Dylan is doing so well. I would be nervous also about taking him off the PB and know exactly what you mean about listening to every movement made throughout the night. I know most of us would love to have our pets off of the meds, but I'm one of those thinking, it's such a low dose and probably not doing any type of live damage, so why not just leave it as is. Just my two cents, but if it's not broke, why fix it?
Either way, wishing you and Dylan continued success with the great control on the seizures!
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

manymanyhounds
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL

Post by manymanyhounds » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:14 pm

We weaned Dancer off Pb about a year ago and wham...seizures again after two years. If I knew then what I know now I would have left well enough alone...just my experience but I would also be nervous about taking him off.

We have been in the process of finding the right dose to put him back on for about a year now.
Dancer 07/04/01-07/28/08
Staghound
We love you sweet Dancer Bear!

High_Voltage_Head
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Minnesota

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:25 pm

Debby, sounds a little scary to me too. Do you know what Dylan's Pb blood level is at? If it's quite low, and if his liver is doing well, I don't see why you shouldn't keep him on it. I wonder if anyone keeps good statistics showing how dogs do when the drugs are stopped.

Manymanyhounds, can you provide more details on your experience? Dancer didn't have a seizure for 2 years until you stopped Pb? How much Pb was he on, and how fast did you stop it? How often does he seize since then? What do you mean you're still trying to figure the right dose? I take it you tried the original dose and it isn't working? I'm just curious because it's something we all wonder about and i don't recall many other people trying it here. Could be useful information.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

manymanyhounds
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL

Post by manymanyhounds » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:21 pm

High_Voltage_Head wrote:Manymanyhounds, can you provide more details on your experience? Dancer didn't have a seizure for 2 years until you stopped Pb? How much Pb was he on, and how fast did you stop it? How often does he seize since then? What do you mean you're still trying to figure the right dose? I take it you tried the original dose and it isn't working? I'm just curious because it's something we all wonder about and i don't recall many other people trying it here. Could be useful information.
Dancer was seizure free for one year when we got him and then one year with us. He was on 64 mg Pb twice a day. Since he was seizure free, our vet wanted to reduce the Pb to wean him off. We did that slowly and about 3 months into it he had a seizure. We put him back on it starting at 16 mg twice a day and have been increasing since (a little over a year) He's also on Kbr (not sure of the dosing formula) 4 ml twice a day. He's gone as long as 2 months between seizures but the last two months have been 14-15 days between seizures. We've just gotten him back to 64 mg Pb twice a day because his level is below therapeutic. His Kbr level is good. We've been increasing the Kbr more aggressively than the Pb.

I just wish we would have left well enough alone and kept him on the original dose which seemed to be controlling the seizures. Hindsight is 20/20.
Dancer 07/04/01-07/28/08
Staghound
We love you sweet Dancer Bear!

snozzel
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:26 pm
Location: hong kong

Post by snozzel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:34 pm

Why??? Surely if he's on such a low dose the possible future impact is very low?? I also had a lot of trouble when my vet started messing with medication - Smythe was never the same again. Everyone, or every dog should I say (!), is different but I would ask a lot of questions...Good luck with it.
Smythe
GSD cross
1993 - 2006 RIP
Epi since 1998

Carolyn
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:08 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by Carolyn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:01 am

I had been tweeking Kiya's pb till we were down to 16mg 2x a day, kbr 1200mg 1x a day never changed. 1 week at 16 mg she had a seizure we went back up to 32mg pb 2 x a day & have been holding steady since march. I kind of gave up my strong drive to get her off the stuff, kind of scared, I don't know what our next course will be. I would like to look into gold bead implants but $ is an issue right now.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

Post Reply