Casey update

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

lovemypups

Casey update

Post by lovemypups » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:39 am

Just wanted to let everyone know how things have been going this week. We took Casey off the Zonegran on Sat. but he was still having partials Sat and Sun. Mon. was doing pretty good. The vet felt that the partials were not the result of the Zonegran so Mon. eve he started taking it again. By Tues. morning the twitching was coming back and Tues. night it was getting worse. Wed. I said to myself, "no more" and stopped giving it to him. Thurs was a really good day as well as this morning. I really think the Zonegran is the problem and am going to keep him off of it for a while. At some point and time we may try it again, just not now. We also picked up a brand new prescription, (name brand, not generic) so I wonder if that makes a difference in how the medicine is effecting him. I just know he's happy right now and acting like his old self which is a joy to see. Hope all the furkids are doing well and everyone has a great (and quiet) weekend. Many hugs to all as well as many thanks for caring!
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:18 pm

I hope Casey is continuing to do well.
I was wondering if sometimes there is not an over medication that just makes things worse. I read in the paper recently about a person who was taking all sorts of vitamins etc to keep them healthy and ended up dying of an OD of the stuff. A friend of mine decided that carrots were really healty and she ate so many of them her skin went orange so then she had to deal with drugs to remedy that.
Is adding more and more to their meds giving them another set of problems?
I received an email from a person in Germany? who had been on this site ages ago replying to the use of oriental herbs. She said she tried them on her dog but they only made the seizures worse.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:00 pm

DELETED

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:28 pm

paws crossed for casey
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:47 am

Just read this post about Casey - I really hope everything will be ok.
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:40 am

Good morning all,
Thank you for the kindness. Casey is doing much better and very happy right now. The surgery continues to heal well and he is doing a lot more running thru the yard, so this is good. Seizures are still at bay, yeah, hope it stays that way for a while. I am going to continue to keep him off of the Zonisimide. I still think that caused a large portion of the problem, but we had to give it a try, and now we know, he just can't take the drug.
Hope all is well with the furkids, give them big hugs from us.
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:33 pm

so glad casey is better and happy again
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:37 pm

Casey is doing very well right now. I just hope it last's for awhile. He is still off the Zonisimide and I changed his food. (Not sure if the food change helped or not, but he seems to like this a lot.) It's Wellness Duck Simple Solutions. I don't think there is a much in it to cause any problems and it seems to agree with him. Thanks for checking up on him and give Dylan and the rest of the furkids big hugs.
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:33 am

HI Debbie,

It's interesting that you're using duck and Casey is doing better. I was looking into acupuncture for MK and spoke with the vet who does it. He says the Chinese believe that food has a lot to do with seizure activity and he recommended to me that I put MK on a food that has venison or duck!!!! He doesn't want me using anything with rice in it, he wants me to use potatoe instead. I will be trying one of those types the next time I have to buy food with hopes it might help a little.

BTW, for anyone interested. The vet told me he doubted the acupuncture would help my boy. Now I'm looking into another study going on at NC college of veterinary medicine. Once I find out more, I'll let you guys know in the event it's something you might want to get involved in.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:56 pm

Hi Vivian,
Casey went in for his PB levels today and I told the vet (not one I normally see, but they are all aware of Casey's problems) I had switched his dry food. She seem to feel that if it's working right now, keep him on it. He really likes it, but dang this stuff is expensive. I just bought another small bag and when Callie finishes up what they were both on before I will probably switch her over as well. I think the fat content may be higher than what he was previously on so I'm a little concerned with that, but he's lost another pound and is very happy right now, so we shall see.
Hope MK is doing well. Have a great weekend and hugs to MK.
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07