In loving Memory

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

lovemypups

In loving Memory

Post by lovemypups » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:05 pm

It is with very heavy heart that I must let you know I have lost the sweetest dog I have ever had. Casey developed a severe case of pancreatitis which would require an extended stay at the vets under 24 hour care. He had started showing symptoms of seizures coming on (probably from the stress of not feeling well) this morning and I knew the time had come. He passed on while laying in my arms surrounded by the vet and vet tech who had come to love him just as much as I did. Even though the pain in my heart is unbearable right now, I am at peace knowing we were able to share 3 wonderful years with him. I will miss him terribly.

Casey Smith
Always in my heart, never forgotten.
05/03/04-10/24-07
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:04 pm

Debbie
I am so sorry to hear about Casey. It seems that these dogs become our own too. Tears have been shed here as well. He is now at rest with all the others including my beloved KiKi who went nearly one year ago ( 1st Nov)
Take care of yourself and Cassie.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:06 pm

Oh Debbie, i'm sorry. He was so young. I think it took a lot of courage to set him free at the right time.

Kurt
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:05 am

oh Debbie, I am so very sorry to read this. casey gave it a good fight and you did all you could for him. he is running free now.
keep in touch ok?
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:12 am

Dear Debbie

I am so, so sorry to hear that your beloved Casey has passed away. Over the past year, I've felt like I've got to know many of the dogs on this forum quite well, it's hearbreaking when we lose one.

Casey was so lucky to have you, you did everything possible to give him a wonderful and happy life.

My thoughts are with you at this time.
Mandy

�You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us�
Robert Louis Stevenson quote
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:28 am

Debbie,

I am so sorry for your loss. I concur with the others, we feel as though we know each other personally and everyone else's dogs are on our minds, too. I didn't know Casey had a setback, I must have missed that post. Too many of the kids leave too early on this board and it's heartwrenching.

Again, my deepest sympathies. The only thing we can hold onto is that they ARE in a better place, hopefully playing together and looking down on us trying to tell us not to be so sad.

Hugs,

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:25 pm

Thank you all so much for your kindness and support. This has been so hard on me, and I know it will take a long time to get over. Casey meant the world to me. He had just been thru so much in 3 years, hips sugeries, then the epilepsy, hip surgery again just the other month and then the pancreatitis. I always knew this time would come, but I had prayed it would be much much longer and we would be able to get some control over the seizures.
I know in my heart I made the right choice, but it just hurts so much right now. I will continue to check in and see how the rest of those wonderful furbabies are doing and please give them many many hugs from us.
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

snozzel

Post by snozzel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:33 am

Debbie

So so sorry about Casey. It's nearly a year for me too since I lost Smythe and I'm still here every week following the progress of everyone. You did brilliantly and I often marvel at the sheer commitment of everyone on this site. I don't know now how I coped with it all. I'm sure that though you'll miss Casey dreadfully you will also find a kind of release from this terrible disease as time moves on as epilepsy affects the lives of furparents in so many awful ways. But we're never totally released - I'm still connected and feel for everyone still going through this.
Best of wishes.

Sarah
Smythe
GSD cross
1993 - 2006 RIP
Epi since 1998

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:58 am

Sarah,

I remember when you lost Snozzel, I can't believe that's nearly a year ago. It's so nice of you to care enough to want to check on everyone else from time to time. One would think that once a person is disconnected from an epi dog, you wouldn't want to think on it ever again. I think for some that have lost their dogs it's too painful to come back here and I can't blame them.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

maggie

Post by maggie » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:16 am

Debbie---- Sorry for what you`ve recently had to go through. I`ve been there too. About 3 years ago I had to have my best friend Maggie put to sleep. Hardest thing I ever had to do. She had suffered with seizures for 9 years and in the end her whole body shut down. I laid her on the Vet`s table that day, asked her to wait on me, and said goodby. Thankfully, I have a very understanding wife and after crying for 3 weeks, she said to me, why don`t you think about getting another English Setter. Best advise I ever had. Now I have a 3 year Setter, her name is Annie, and every time I look in her eyes I can see Maggie. Might work for you. Take care and I know how you feel.----Maggie

kain

SO SORRY ... FROM ATHENS

Post by kain » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:46 am

Dear Debbie,

I am so sorry to hear about Casey. I remember him and you very well from the first day I entered this forum. You helped us very much.
Kain passed away one year now and nothing has changed... the pain is the same, the memory is the same and I will never ever forget him. I still care so much about all the other epileptic dogs that I am visiting this site every day. Please be strong and have hope you will meet him again.
We will all see our beloved pets again one day.. I am sure..

Warmest thoughts and hugs,

Helen ( Kain's Mummy)
Helen (Mom of Kain)
Run free my precious Kain!!
30/09/97~14/10/06

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:33 am

Helen,

That year went by so quickly. I know how you feel though, losing our babes is very hard and the empty spots in the house where they used to occupy has a screaming silence about them. I guess the joy they gave us while they were with us outweighs the agony we feel when we lose them.

Hugs,

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:11 pm

Hi Helen & Sarah,
I was thinking about you guys the other day. We went through a real bad patch this time last year losing Kain,Snozzel and my KiKi all within a few weeks. Time passes so quickly and tomorrow will be one year exactly that KiKi left.
It's nice to know that everyone still watches the site from time to time and supports those who still have the monster to deal with.
I had an idea the other day that I would get back into my patchworking again (something which I found hard to do without one big red dog sleeping and snoring under my workbench) and make up a memory quilt to all those that we have lost.
If anyone can give me a list of furkids names I would appreciate it. I have made one up but I do not want to miss out on any of them.
Thanks.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

suejacksoncarr

Post by suejacksoncarr » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:01 am

Dear Debbie,

I too keep a watch on all of you on the site and rejoice with the good times and now cry with the bad times. I am so sorry you had to let Casey go, you are right it will be an awful long time before you get over this loss. This is why those of us who have lost our Angel dogs still keep checking in. I like to think of all these epi dogs together on their clouds in Heaven looking after each other and looking down on us. I see them all as healthy and happy again.

With love to you

Sue
Scholtz - German Shepherd
10th June, 2004 to 9th March, 2007

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:46 am

I think it's so nice that those of you that have lost your kids check in on the others. It must be very painful for you, yet you still care enough to see how everyone else is faring.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009