Mls/cc vs mg

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Melissa and Raven

Mls/cc vs mg

Post by Melissa and Raven » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:59 pm

Raven is taking 2.8mls/cc a day of liquid Kbr. What is that in mg? I notice most of you talk in mg and I can't figure out how much that is.

Also, I just squirt the medication down between her lips and teeth. She takes it that way. Once a day, at dinner time. Then she eats, plays and goes to sleep. She's allergic to wheat so I can't give her bread and she likes her food and hates the medication...I don't want to ruin her meal for her. When she's done though I reward her by giving her Venison Jerky...that makes it worth it to her.

Unfortunately...Raven was wiggly, off balance and had a weak back end when we got her so we don't see any difference at all with the meds. She has always had a vigorous appetite and drinks excessively...

BIG SIGH

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:08 pm

It depends on the concentration. The compounding pharm should tell you what that is, if it doesn't say on the bottle. Typical is 250mg/ml which would be 700 mg.

You should put the KBr on Raven's food instead of directly into her mouth. Lotsa problems with that method.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

Melissa and Raven

Post by Melissa and Raven » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:49 pm

What kind of problems? I'm new so I haven't read anything on that yet. I'm surprised my vet and the other Dr's I've spoken with haven't said anything to me about my method.
It's just that she has allergies so badly it was hard to get a food she could eat. Anything I put that stuff on she won't eat. I don't want her to hate her food. My hope is, once her kbr is leveled in her blood I can get it in pill format than I won't have to worry.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:08 pm

Because the KBr is so salty it affects the mouth, throat and stomach.
Try to put in onto cheese or add it to her food. If she gets hungry enough she will eat it. See what MK's mum comes up with. There are lots of methods others use.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:34 pm

I gave Dylans liquid by just squirting it in his mouth, but gave him raw beef liver after, to help wash it down. now that we have his dose set, I had the pharmacy switch to pills, easier for someone else to give if they have to.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:09 am

A guy on another site said his dog developed horrible mouth ulcers from squirting KBr directly into his mouth. I've never heard of a dog on AEDs hating food. Maybe Raven hasn't been on the drugs long enough for the food obsession to kick in yet. Jackson would eat gravel if i put it in his bowl.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:17 am

I gave KBr to MK ONCE and it made him vomit it was so foul to the taste. I put it in his kibble and add some water to dilute it. I then add tuna fish or something else that he likes to give him something to look forward to at mealtime.

KBr is VERY irritating to the stomach. You'll do your little guy a favor to start putting it in his food.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Melissa and Raven

Post by Melissa and Raven » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:37 am

I don't see a difference for the stomach, putting it in her kibble or squirting it into her mouth 1 second before I place her bowl on the floor? When my medication says "take with food" I don't hide it in my chicken I simply take the meds then eat.
As for putting it in food, I find there is a lot of waste that way. 2.8mls is about 2.5 teaspoons and I haven't found a substance that will hold that liquid easily unless it's a sponge like bread, which she's allergic too.

This site say's "Bromide can sometimes cause an upset stomach, and thus it is best given at meal times. The liquid can be mixed with food as long as the dog will eat it all. If the dog is a picky eater, mix the bromide with a little food and wait until that's gone to give the remainder of meal. Alternatively, simply give the liquid directly into the dog's mouth. "

I think I'll stick with this method for now as its worked now since August and I don't see anything wrong with the inside of her mouth. It's over quickly and she gets on with her life.

If anything changes at all...stomach upset or mouth ulcers...I'll stop immediately. Now I know what to watch out for!

Thanks everyone.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:42 am

Keep doing whatever you're doing. You don't have to take anyone's advice, but I will say this; squirt some in your own mouth or put some on an open cut then tell me what you think. It's salt and has a very unpleasant taste. That's why some vets put chicken flavor in the solution to mask the bad taste.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

hebutt

Post by hebutt » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 pm

We have been giving the beef flavoured Kbr in a small amount of milk (she prefers 2% -often refuses if it is in skim milk).
When we did try the capsules, even giving them with cheese made Magic ill with in a couple of minutes of giving them. So we broke open the capsules and dissolved the powder in milk.
It seems to work for her.

Melissa and Raven

Post by Melissa and Raven » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:41 pm

Yeah, we have the beef flavoured too. But I've been told next time to order the original formula as dogs prefer it. So I think I will try the original/non flavoured stuff. Actually...I did taste it. It was bad...but not as bad as Buckley's :)

Melissa and Raven

Post by Melissa and Raven » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:48 pm

Oh...forgot

Some good news...Raven had her second blood test on Wednesday and I got the results yesterday. The vets are pleased with her level and there is no need to increase her medicaion any further for now.
YIPPEEE....
So we don't have to go back for 4 months, or unless she has another seizure...but she promisses me she won't.

Thanks again everyone.