DELETED

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

DELETED

Barney's at the vets again

Post by DELETED » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:29 pm

DELETED

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:57 pm

You will know when the time has come. Do not let the vets or anyone else try to talk you into doing anything and even when they give you the options don't rush into anything.
It seems to me like the stress that is being out onto the family with your sons problems may be coming out in Barney.
Could you try the rescue remedy on Barney and for that matter you and your husband to calm things down a bit.
The problem with the medication is that it will not stop the seizures - just make it longer in between them or reduce the severity. If you think Barney is enjoying a good quality of life then why even consider putting him down. I remarked to a person when they told me to put KiKi down what would they do if it was their child that was having seizures ?
I hope things work out for you all.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:20 pm

keeping paws and fingers crossed that barney pulls out of it again.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:24 pm

Sorry to hear of this about Barney. I'm with Jane, do what you have to to keep him going. You live with him and know better than the vets how he acts inbetween seizures. If he goes into status and they cant' bring him out of it, then i guess it's time, but until then keep him going.

Can they increase his medication at all?

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:56 pm

DELETED

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:21 am

Sorry to hear about Barney.

I agree with others, don't give up just yet - you know Barney better than anyone, and if he is happy in between, he's still worth fighting for.

Good luck and hoping that he can be stablised.
Mandy & Poppy
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

snozzel

Post by snozzel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:06 am

So sorry you and Barney are having tough times.

I agree that dogs sense when something is wrong. Smythe started having seizures when my husband was really under stress at work and suffering from depression. I also noticed another lady posting on here recently that mentioned in passing that her husband had been at home recently. I wondered at the time if the dog was stressing about a home situation there.

You will know when the time has come. I kept asking this board last year 'when do you know when enough is enough?' but no matter what others say only you will know when it's right or not. Trust yourself and it will all be fine.
Smythe
GSD cross
1993 - 2006 RIP
Epi since 1998

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:01 am

I'm so sorry to hear about Barney and will send lots of prayers and good thoughts that he will bounce back from this. I know how difficult this is. Casey never really had good control either, but as you said on the good days, well, the good days were wonderful. Your heart will lead you in the right direction. I would have given anything if I could have kept Casey going, but he told me in his own way he was tired of fighting, Barney will too. If you feel that now is not the time, then fight it with everything you have. Big hugs to you both.
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:35 pm

DELETED

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:51 am

I think a vet will sometimes mention the option of euthanasia just as a way of letting the person know that this is an acceptable thing to consider, maybe not yet, but at some point. I'm really struggling with this same stuff. Two weeks ago Jackson was diagnosed with pneumonia and megaesophagus again. He was really sick. At least two different vets seemed to be telling me that they've done all they know how to do for him.

Last spring i got him in the car to go be put to sleep, and then i changed my mind. This time i got him all the way to the hospital before changing my mind. He's better now and i'm glad i didn't do it. But part of the equation is the stress it puts on the humans involved. It's been awful. I've come very close to putting both my dogs to sleep in the past month. It seems like i've done nothing but take care of sick dogs and it's taking a toll on me but i'm afraid to give up because the guilt will kill me if the stress doesn't get me first.

The interesting thing is that Jackson's epilepsy is definitely better than it was until a few months ago. In a few hours it'll be 11 days since his last seizure, which again ties the longest he's gone in a year. This is the 3rd or 4th time he's gone this long in the past 2-3 months. And this is happening during the most stressful time we've ever had, and also when he's been very sick from the other illnesses. So i feel like there is a faint possibility that i might finally get a handle on his epilepsy, and i don't want to give up yet.

The first dog i ever owned never let me know when it was time to go. I kept him alive too long and didn't realize it until 5 minutes after finally putting him to sleep. I had been too afraid of what would happen to me without him. But when it was done i suddenly knew i would be ok. At that moment i swore i would never do that again to another dog.

So there are lots of crosscurrents, lots of conflicting sentiments, no absolute truths to be relied upon. But Jane has said more than once that these dogs were given to us for a reason, and i like to believe that. I also like to believe that no matter how bad it seems at times, in the big scheme of things, everything is exactly the way it's supposed to be.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:06 am

Kurt,

I'm so sorry to hear that Jackson's seizures are still bad. YOu don't speak of it often unless i missed it, so we don't know what's happening.

It's very hard for some people to let go of their pets. I have been guilty more than once of making my animals go too long before letting them go, but it will take a year or more before I come to realize that. I love my pets so fiercely, so I'm not the right person to decide if they live or die. But here I am, still bringing pets into my life because they give me so much during their lifetimes. I will probably be in your shoes at some point, I hope you guys are still around if and when that time comes. The answers are never easy. Do we let them go and let guilt eat us alive or let them live and let guilt eat us alive? Although the stress on us is bad enough, we have to remind ourselves that it's our babes that are going thru this and it's their lives that may end because of it. the hardest part will come for us when they're gone and we have to go on without them.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you,

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:51 pm

Kurt and Vivian.
About a year ago Finndog was going through the same thing.Finns seizures were getting bad and he was having other health problems as well and this was putting a lot of stress into the families lives. My advice to him was accept that this is the way Finn is, deal to those who tell you to put him down and this will lower the stress levels for everyone. He pm me a while ago when I asked how they were doing. All is fine and Finn has not been seizing. They live from day to day and enjoy each others company. He does not think about seizures and they do not live waiting for the next seizure.

I think it was Debbie who said we live with epilepsy not for epilepsy.

I know how hard it is but stress levels don't help. All I can say is try to be calm and this will filter to MK and Jackson.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:09 pm

DELETED

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:40 pm

Deb,

One thing we cannot predict is what turn the epilepsy will take. Some dogs do great then suddenly take a turn for the worst, other dogs do badly and suddenly improve. Just keep doing whatever it is you're doing and dont' let the vet talk you into something you'll regret later.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:15 am

glad to hear he is home.
still have fingers and paws crossed