Bad Liver

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:52 pm

Have you tried the ice cream and ice pack treatments - they may help with the post ictal.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:56 pm

I don't know if the Denamarin (milk thistle + SAMe) helped or not. I kind of think the main thing was the Pb reduction.

I have tried ice cream and ice packs in the past and they never did anything. Same with Rescue Remedy. My sister is always phoning me to say how she's just saved some wild animal like a deer that got hit by a car, or a bird that flew into a window, etc etc, with a couple drops of Rescue Remedy. I just go yeah, ok. No really, i've tried it on the dog and it did nothing. I've tried it on myself and it did nothing. Maybe it's my bad attitude. Maybe it only works if you suspend your disbelief. But since i have ice packs and ice cream and Rescue Remedy right here and haven't tried any of them for 1-2 years maybe i'll give them one more shot just for fun. Can't hurt.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

poodlemom

Post by poodlemom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:42 pm

speaking of milk thistle....my vet was out of marin for a few weeks, so i found an article that said you could give a certain % of a human dose to a dog. since charlee weighed between 11 and 20 pounds, it said he should get 20% of 280mg. well all i could find were capsules, the smallest being 140mg. i asked the pharmacist about compounding it myself and she figured it out to be 3ml ( i mix 1 capsule with 10ml of chicken broth). my vet said i could give him double that dose to 6ml or 100mg, so i give it once at breakfast and the other at dinner. my questions are: does mixing it with chicken broth weaken it's effectiveness? should i just go back to giving marin? does it come in pill or powder form?