DELETED

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

DELETED

Valium protocol

Post by DELETED » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:39 am

DELETED

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:34 am

Sorry I can't help as I never had to administer Vallium that way.
Keeping you and Barney in my thoughts and prayers.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

claires friend

Post by claires friend » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:47 am

I have had to do it with Morgan once when she locked her jaws and we couldn't get a pill in. It took 2 of us because she was really kicking her back legs but it wasn't too hard. We ended up in ER that night. She stopped seizing just as we pulled into the driveway,but we took her in anyway as I wanted to check her temp. Vets said that's all they would do and if we could do it we could take her home. So we did and she was fine for the rest of the night.
Susan Marie
Morgan -Foster Golden, now ours FOREVER !!
First seizure Aug 16, 2006 @9 months old ,very low thyroid
She has been with me since the end of July 07
150mg PB BID
.5 soloxine BID
400 Kbr BID

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:32 am

Hi there

Sorry to hear Barney is having a rough time.

I had great success with the rectal valium with Poppy, it's quite easy, the valium is in a tube which you administer as soon as poss afer fitting starts (I can even manage this whilst Poppy is thrashing about and it does bring her out of the seizure quite quickly - you may need a couple of tries before successfully squirting the valium).

I face towards her rear end, raise her tail with my hand (depends on which side she lays) and with the same elbow steady her and insert valium tube and squirt with free hand.

I also found that Poppy's post-ictal stage was greatly reduced by giving valium.

Good luck with Barney, and hope he is out of the woods soon.

Mandy xx
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:49 am

Deb,

I was given suppositories for MK that was inserted anally. If that's what you have it's not hard to do, just make sure you push the suppository into the anal tract far enough that it doesn't melt and leak out. I haven't been given liquid form like Mandy has, so I can't comment on that, but I would think it would have to be inserted into the anus the same way as to not lose some of it due to leaking.

Good luck with Barney, he's a fighter and will pull out of this again.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:04 am

I'm sorry Barney's having a spell again. I too have inserted valium rectally and it is easy. Especially with Ada, because when she's seizuring, her tail (nub) sticks straight out. That's actually how I can tell when it's really over, it relaxes again.

Since this topic is brought up, I've noticed with Ada, that when I try to give her the valium rectally, the insertion actually makes her seizure worse, so I've gone back to just pills. (I think she panics when I try to insert it.) And I did use a lubricant to help.

Good luck and I hope Barney pulls through and that you have success with the valium if you decide to try it.

High_Voltage_Head

Post by High_Voltage_Head » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:49 pm

I have a supply of liquid Valium and syringes on hand for emergencies. I really think this is important and every epi dog should have it available, especially if the dog does clusters or has gone into status, and the fact is that any of them could have an emergency at any time. I don't use it very often but it puts my mind at ease knowing that it's here, and it's a lot cheaper and faster than a trip to the ER.

Some vets don't like giving it out. My primary vet would only give me 3 syringes pre-filled at a time and that is not enough if you have a real emergency. Had to get bottles of it from the neuro.
Me: Kurt
Dog: Jackson the 6 y.o. Standard Poodle 55lbs
died March '08

adajadesmom

Post by adajadesmom » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:40 am

My vet gives me prefilled syringes and they're 5 mg's each. I end up having to give her two plus 2 10 mg pills at the same time.

I read on guardian angels in a Dr. Thomas' article that a dog can have up to 2 mg per kg body weight. That would be 68 mg's for Ada. Now I'm wondering if the amount I'm doing isn't enough.

Last time, I was charged $10 per syringe. (when I kind of freaked at the price, he dropped it down to $5 each for me) What are the prices you all are paying for it bottled and how much per bottle?
Also, how many mg's are you giving rectally?

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:08 pm

DELETED