Toby

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

MTM

Post by MTM » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:49 am

MK's mom wrote:Marie,

Jane is well aware that we all need to vent, her words were just trying to boost you up and try to keep your emotions from 'traveling down the leash' as it were. Jane lost her pup to epilepsy and is afraid the boy she has now will start seizing, too, so she's WELL aware and can empathize with anyone when it comes to their fears. We're ALL afraid for our dogs, but we have to try and contain our fears for their sakes, that's all she meant.

By all means, this is the place to vent!!!

Vivian
Yes- I have read about Jane's pup that lost the battle- very sad. I was not intending to be harsh by any means, I just didn't think my meaning in my original posts was understood... I am terrified, but I am also functioning and able to care for my boys. I should have been more clear in my earlier posts that it was more of a "venting" session than a not knowing what to do issue.

Jane- has the pup you have now shown any signs of seizure activity? That is the part that confuses me... I have had three dogs in my life- one from when I was growing up (Chester- the family dog) and now Murfy and Toby. When Chester was 4, he started having seizures. He may have been injured as a pup and that is how we explained it but never had any answers beyond that. Then when Murfy was four, he started having seizures. On Toby's fifth birthday, I remember clearly feeling relieved he had made it past four and he was in the clear... two months later he had his first cluster. None of them are related in any way to each other and it completely dumbfounds me. Sometimes I feel like I am a magnet for epi dogs...
~Marie
Epi:
Murfy -forever free but forever missed <3
Toby -74 lbs, 8.5 yrs old, black lab mix
Meds:
258 mg Phb, .9 mg Thyrosyn and 300 mg Zonisamide BID. Also 575 mg NaBr daily.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:55 am

Marie,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have seen on other lists where families seem to have had more than one epi dog. I don't know if we're magnets (MK is my first), but I wonder if it's environmental (meaning something in our environments are causing the seizures) or rotten luck! I don't think ANY of us wants to deal with this more than once!!!:)

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

mgklly

Post by mgklly » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:46 pm

I agree whole heartedly that this is the place to vent as we all need to do that from time to time.
I would be really calm at home as so much of our time was taken up caring for Buzz and just loving him but when I was at work or somewhere else I would always wonder if he was okay or not.
This is the most frustrating disease at times as there are so many questions unanswered and the treatment is so different for each pup that it is somewhat of a guessing game when it comes to dosages.
As some of you know, we lost our battle with Buzz but it was not for the lack of trying.
Shortly after we received an email from someone we don't know about an ad for a husky/malamute that needed a home. We were scared stiff thinking that we could get another dog with seizures especially since it was the same breed.
We finally decided to take the dog as it was 8 years old and did not have too many hopes of someone taking him. We are still scared but it has not stopped us from loving this beautiful boy.
I guess my point is that even though we are scared for these dogs that we love that doesn't stop us from doing whatever they need from us and come to places like this to do our venting.
Even though I no longer have an epi I still belong to this group and a couple of other ones hoping that our experience with Buzz can help even one person deal with this.
Buzz
Gone but never forgotten
Dec 28/06 to Oct 27/08

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:19 pm

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan."
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

MTM

Post by MTM » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:56 pm

MK's mom wrote:"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan."
Wow... very profound. A fragile circle- so true.
~Marie
Epi:
Murfy -forever free but forever missed <3
Toby -74 lbs, 8.5 yrs old, black lab mix
Meds:
258 mg Phb, .9 mg Thyrosyn and 300 mg Zonisamide BID. Also 575 mg NaBr daily.