recovery time from IV pheno - (Update:We lost Miss Dixie)

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

fiveliter8

recovery time from IV pheno - (Update:We lost Miss Dixie)

Post by fiveliter8 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:07 am

Our Dixie was admitted to the emergency vet because her seizures returned after about 7 months (clusters). While there, she had two seizures. After the second one, they started phenobarb intravenously (two loading doses in one day) and we brought her home that evening (last night around 6pm). She was completely unable to stand on her own. This morning, she could walk, but would fall over a lot. She was able to poop and pee, but not without falling while doing the deed. It was this way all day. I would have expected the effects of the iv phenobarb to have worn off by now. I'm getting worried she might have some brain damage or something. What has everyone else's experience been? The vet won't give me a straight answer, just "it takes a while". We'll see how she does in the morning. G'nite,

Alex
Last edited by fiveliter8 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:23 am

Like everything else, it's different with every dog. I remember when my boy got a loading dose once, it took up to a week before he could run up the stairs like he used to. You should see an improvement in Dixie everyday, little by little. I know it's tough to watch the pups struggle to do anything, but she needed the loading dose or she could have gone into status, and you don't want that.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:14 am

It's probably best that she is very drugged up to help prevent any more seizures and like Vivian & the vet said it will take a while. I don't think you can get a straight answer because sometimes there isn't one. To help steady her you can use a leash under her hind end to help her stand. I had to do that for an old dog of mine.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:05 am

Our experience was that it took about 2 weeks for Trinity to get back to normal after a PB IV loading dose. It is very hard to watch, but it did get better. We experience a little bit of it each time she has an increase in dosage--we are currently doing yet another KBR loading increase. She is groggy and unsteady one minute and playing ball the next. She should show some improvement each day.

fiveliter8

Post by fiveliter8 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:23 pm

Well, each day she has indeed improved. They are tiny improvements, but at least she's able so hold herself up and walk for short distances and can do her business without too much difficulty. Thank you for the encouragement!

fiveliter8

Re: recovery time from IV phenobarb

Post by fiveliter8 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Hello all. I just wanted to post that Miss Dixie has passed on. I was looking forward to posting next month that she had been seizure free for a whole year, but she did not make it. :cry: The past 4 years or so, she has been battling immune system problems, particularly with her skin and nose. We were able to manage those, but then she contracted a fungal infection in her brain, which was being treated with fluconazole and steroid anti-inflammatory. A month ago, she contracted MRSA, which we were treating topically. It looked as though she was healing well. One day, both our springers became suddenly ill with vomiting and bloody diarrhea. We took them to the vet and by then Dixie was so weak she could hardly stand. A few hours later she passed on. Our other springer Shelby, Dixie's littermate, recovered fine. She is pretty depressed like the rest of us, but we try to keep her occupied and hopefully she'll cope. That lil' girl was a fighter, and has been through so much. We did the best we could for her. Rest in peace Miss Dixie Stix! Thanks to everyone on this forum for the support in the past, and a special thanks to the Neurology and Dermatology staff at Columbia University veterinary teaching hospital for doing their best to get Dixie through her many ailments.

CivilDog

Re: recovery time from IV pheno - (Update:We lost Miss Dixie

Post by CivilDog » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:05 am

my most sincere condolences to you and your family

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:07 am

Hi Alex,
I'm so sorry to hear about Dixie. My goodness it sounds like she was a real fighter, and I'm sure that she knew you were fighting right alongside her. I hope you can eventually find peace knowing that you did everything possible for her.

Lynne

seebr5640

Post by seebr5640 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Dixie.

I will keep you in my thoughs and prayers as you go through this sad time.

Barb & epi-Sampson

Apache

Post by Apache » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:59 pm

So sorry to hear about Dixie passing on. She certainly had her share of issues, poor girl. I'm sure she appreciated everything you had done for her. She is at peace, now. Bless her soul!

Brian

richmauer

Post by richmauer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:12 am

So sorry to hear of Miss Dixie's passing. My prayers are with you.
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:33 am

So sorry to hear of your loss.

Thinking of you at this difficult time.
Mandy
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

fiveliter8

Post by fiveliter8 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:47 am

Thank you all for the uplifting comments. :). We just received a letter from the dean of University of Missouri, Columbia, stating our local vet contributed to the pet memorial program in Miss Dixie's honor. Our vets knew Dixie pretty well as you can imagine. It's great to know that they genuinely cared. :)