Anti-inflammatory drug correlated with drop in seizure freq?

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

ibycus

Anti-inflammatory drug correlated with drop in seizure freq?

Post by ibycus » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:28 pm

My dog is both epileptic and arthritic (OCD in the elbow). I have strong reason to suspect that both are genetic in origin.

I've noticed that seizure frequency increases when ever the anti-inflammatories are low in his system, So far, we're 3 for 3 on cases where I've held back anti-inflammatory drugs the seizure frequency went up (just so you don't think I'm a monster, there were good reasons for changing the dosing of anti-inflammatories every time). Also, prior to diagnosing the seizures, we put him on meloxicam, which significantly reduced seizure frequency on its own (note: we also adjusted activity level here, which is what we initially correlated the seizure reduction to, but looking back I'm not sure)

This isn't a pain thing, as frequency of seizures didn't increase post cruciate repair surgery, and there was definite increase in pain despite analgesia.

He's been on both meloxicam and prednisone, and both seem to have the same effect (although I've not withdrawn the prednisone, so don't know if seizure frequency will increase if I do).

Thoughts? Anyone else see anything similar?

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:20 am

There was a dog on this forum a few years ago who was put on rimydal for arthritis in the hips and after he went onto it his seizures stopped.
I have always wondered if the rimydal had anything to do with it.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:25 am

I have also heard of folks who noticed a decrease in seizure frequency with antibiotics! I'm currently trying that route for my boy, time will tell how it helps. My neuro said that vets have noticed a decrease in seizure activity when using doxycycline, but they don't know why.

I wonder if whatever is in the drugs that is 'numbing' the pain (if you will) is also quieting the brain? Very interesting indeed.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:03 am

This really is quite interesting, and I too wonder if these drugs are suppressing inflamed areas of the brain which would be active during seizures.
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:13 am

About 5 months after Kiya began having seizures I had her spayed. I was scared to death about the anesthisia but my vet assured me that if anything it may prevent her from having a seizure because she is sedated. So it makes sense that any drug with a seditive like a pain med would have some kind of calming affect on brain activity. Aslo thinking about when your in pain your stressed which would have a lot to do with an increase in seizure activity. I also heard about the anitbiotic story.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15