Fingers Crossed

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Gentle Jacob's mom

Fingers Crossed

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:42 am

Hi Everybody,
We've had a long 48 hours with Jake. We all know how the meds that our babies take can make them try to eat things they normally wouldn't and that's what lead Jake to eat the corn cob that lead to his surgery last June. It looks like he ate something again. He has a slight blockage and our vet, 4 of her colleagues and one surgeon agree that we should approach it conservatively. We had him checked for everything else to rule out any other problems, but he is vomiting a few times, and is nauseous so he's not eating. We've done fluids and anti nausea meds and now it's a waiting game to see it "everything" comes out. Please keep your your fingers and paws crossed, because if it doesn't work, he'll probably need to have surgery again. It's breaking my heart that he's going through this again. We watch him like a hawk, and I just don't know how this happened. I just wish the universe would stop picking on him. He's such a wonderful dog, and we love him so much.

Linda

MK's mom

Re: Fingers Crossed

Post by MK's mom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:05 am

Linda, I know exactly how you feel when you say the UNiverse is picking on your boy. that is how I felt and I'm pretty sure everyone else here thinks the same way. Any idea what he may have gotten ahold of? some of the kids get so hungry on the meds that they eat anything and everything. MK ate a huge bar of soap once and two days later had aspiration pneumonia. Don't know to this day if he aspirated the soap, but it seemed too coincidental.

Lots of zen going Jake's way. Please keep us posted.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Apache

Post by Apache » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:38 pm

I sure will keep my fingers crossed for you, and obviously, Jake! Here's to hoping that it's no more than a bug that is going around your area. Course, that wouldn't explain the slight blockage.

My thoughts are with you both! C'mon, Jake, get it up and out!

Keep us posted, please.

Brian

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:10 pm

We just got back from a very long day. Jake had to have emergency surgery. He ate a sweet gum ball and it was lodged in his intestine. They couldn't see it completely yesterday because he hadn't had a bowel movement and it was hiding behind it. He's doing very well, and should be coming home by Thurs. They let us see him for a few minutes after surgery and said that he was out of it and probably wouldn't know we were there. I said his name and kissed him and he looked up at me. I told everyone that he probably thought we were coming to take him home.
As soon as we can afford it every sweet gum tree is coming down.
Thank you so much for your support. It means so much.

Linda

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:26 am

Linda,

I'm so sorry that Jake had to undergo another surgery. Our guys seem to be magnets for trouble, don't they? :) As if their suffering thru epilepsy and related issues aren't enough, not to mention Mom and Dad's pocketbooks aren't a bottomless pit of cash. At least he made it and you know it wasn't something like a tumor. I know he'll be glad to be home!!

I don't know what a gumball tree is, I'll have to google it.

Vivian
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:17 am

I wanted to let you know that Jake came home last night. He surprised everyone and bounced back from the surgery really well. He did have two very mild breakthrough seizures early yesterday morning but the surgeon and our vet said that they were most likely from the stress and pain he was in prior to and after surgery. No problems since and he's resting comfortably. We're just so grateful that he's going to be ok. Don't know if you've seen sweet gum balls but they are nasty and are a threat to any dog let alone our epi babies. We live in a wooded area and they're everywhere. I've cleaned up thousands of them this year and we've watched Jake so closely to keep this from happening and it happened anyway. As soon as we can afford it,(this surgery is expensive!) those sweet gum trees are coming down. We've already taken down over 50 of them.
He's been through so much, but seems to take it in stride. I'm learning so much from him.
Thank you for your support!

Linda

SneakyPete

Post by SneakyPete » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:43 am

Its nice to hear good news. Wishing Jake and you the best.
They teach us sooo much its unbelievable.....they never give up, always have their spirits high, its just amazing.

No matter how much pain or discomfort they are in, they will never forget to greet you with a big jump and cuddle.

I hope we all hear more good news from as many people as possible.

Karthik
Sneaky Pete
4 yr old Irish Setter
0 days since last attack

1st attack: 3rd May 2010
Last attack: 04 Nov 2010

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:46 am

What are sweet gumballs?

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Sweet Gum is a tree that grows everywhere in the south. The gum balls are kind of it's fruit. They develop and are green then turn brown and drop to the ground. They're about an inch in diameter and have sharp thorns coming from them. People use them in decorations, and I've heard that there is a bird that eats them. Must have a stomach made of steel. The leaves are really beautiful in the Fall. That's why I wouldn't let my husband cut them all down. He hates them, and now I do more than ever, and they're coming down.

Linda

Apache

Post by Apache » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Linda,

After your initial posting, I had to Google Gum Tree. I had heard of them before, but never knew what they looked like. Nice looking, but the thorns caught me by surprise. They remind me of burrs which we get here often. They're extremely poisonous to our beloved pets.

In any case, glad to hear that Jake has bounced back remarkably well! Poor fellow, as if he needed that on top of everything else, right? They are strong, though. Hopefully his seizures have stopped, and he'll be back to normal in no time.

Brian

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:20 am

Hi everybody,
I just wanted to let you know that Jake is recovering from surgery really well. I just hate this stupid disease so much. I just want to scream, but I'm so grateful that he came through this. Now if our finances can recover too we'll be back on track.

Again Thank You for your support. I really means a lot.

Linda

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:31 am

That's great news!! As for the finances, I'm finally seeing light at the end of my tunnel. :(
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Mandypop

Post by Mandypop » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:37 am

Good to hear that Jake has recovered well from the surgery - hope your finances make a quick recovery too!

Best wishes.
Mandy
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily