Troubles with Excessive Urination

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Mirrorakay

Troubles with Excessive Urination

Post by Mirrorakay » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:41 pm

Riku, my 6 year-old epi Bea-tzu, was started on 32.4mg of Pheno 2x a day as of July 2nd. After about 5 days of medication, Riku began to have issues waiting to be let outside to use the restroom. In three days he has already peed in the house a total of 4 times for sure and a possible 5th time. I'm not entirely sure how to proceed.

During the week I work 10 hour days and have no break long enough to come home and check on him and everyone else in the house is also away for long periods of time. However, he is peeing while people are around and doesn't even appear to be entirely aware that he is urinating.

We cannot use a doggy door as we own 6 indoor cats that we cannot risk letting out. We've been putting him outside every 2 hours and it has done nothing to keep him from going in the house. My mother is of the opinion that I either need to get rid of him or put him out every 1/2 - 1 hour even throughout the night, giving me absolutely no sleep. I've looked into potty pads, but since he has no idea he is even urinating, those won't help. I've also looked into diapers, but he won't keep them on unless he wears a cone for a long, long time. There's also no way to restrict his water because the 6 cats share the bowl with him and one of them is handicapped and unable to jump if we were to elevate the bowls.

I'm desperate for anything any of you have to offer. I do plan on calling my vet Monday, but he will still be urinating in the house for the duration of tomorrow and Monday unless I can find some sort of solution.
Riku's Mom
First seizure: 5/13/11
Last seizure: 9/22/11

richmauer

Re: Troubles with Excessive Urination

Post by richmauer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:01 am

Riku's peeing is for sure related to his meds. They tend to drink much more water and therefore pee more. He's only been on the meds for just over a week. Give him time to adjust.

Right below the header Canine Epilepsy Network above is a "search". I would look through the posts on urinating and peeing and you may get some input.

I would try to find a solution in the meantime to water access. Perhaps confining him to a room without carpet. I would also tell your mom it's way too premature for putting him down. I, of course, might use stronger language than that!
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

Mirrorakay

Post by Mirrorakay » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:37 am

Will the excess drinking lessen with time? I tried searching around for an answer and came up with next to nothing, except that it is one of the long-term side-effects.

It's odd because he seems to be holding it through the night. It is during the day that we're having all the trouble we are, when people are around to put him out. Right now he is spending his day on the linoleum with his beds since we took away his other favorite spots to lay. He's also willing to wear one of those male wrap diapers so we have him in one of those; though I am still putting him out about every hour and a half.

Believe me, I would never put Riku down for something as silly as this! Yes, it is a frustrating problem, but it is not enough to justify what she is suggesting. My mother has always had issues with all of Riku's little problems so it is simply another arguement for her to start.
Riku's Mom

richmauer

Post by richmauer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:12 am

It has been my experience that it changes with time, not that it necessarily lessens the drinking. My bet is Riku will adjust to the meds in the next week and the peeing will lessen if not stop. Atleast, I hope so. :)

Still try to lessen his water intake.

Mirrorakay

Post by Mirrorakay » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:46 am

I'll hope that it lessens then. An accident here or there is a lot more manageable than two or three a day!

I'm working on it.
Riku's Mom

Apache

Post by Apache » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm with Rich on this one. Give it a bit of time. Our guy is also on Phenobarbital, and although he had a slight desire for more water, he never had an accident in the house.

This may sound a little silly, but perhaps reward him when he does pee outside. It's kind of like going back to basic puppy training. Try to keep his water intake to a respectable level. In any case, I'm sure he'll adjust to his meds.

Good luck.

Brian

Mirrorakay

Post by Mirrorakay » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:00 pm

He does get plenty of praise when he goes outside, but like I said, it is more that he doesn't realize he is peeing. He will stand by the door to be let out, pee while he is waiting, and then go outside and squat like he didn't just pee though he doesn't actually urinate at that point.

Though today has been much better than the last three. He's had zero accidents and seems to have cut back on the water all by himself. I'm still putting him out frequently and going to restrict his water a little before bed time, but it is almost like he is back to his old self. I'm starting to wonder if this is going to wax and wane like the ataxia we've been seeing until his system adjusts to the medication.
Riku's Mom

richmauer

Post by richmauer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:48 am

Nothing should surprise you about this disease. One thing for sure, it is ever-changing, but like I said, I bet on Riku self-correcting this issue. Glad to hear it's better. Keep us posted.

libbysmum

Post by libbysmum » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:22 pm

I feel for you, I have the same problem :(

At first my girl couldn't go more than half an hour! Now it is up to 4 hours, so if we are both at work all day we come home to one accident, and now always by the backdoor. I still hope everyday that the time will keep incresing, but I'm not sure it will. We are about to move so I should get back every lunch time and hopefully remove the problem. I hope so anyway as here the kitchen is tiled, but its not in the new house!

My girl is always clean through the night, and I think if I put her in a pen inside in the day it would also keep her clean, but I'm not willing to try that just yet.

Mirrorakay

Post by Mirrorakay » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:24 pm

It seems the problems has vanished almost entirely for Riku. His drinking has gone back to normal and today he last a whole 9 hours alone without wetting in the house; he wasn't even that eager to go out when I got home. I'm honestly not sure why the problem just vanished, but I'm certainly not going to argue!
Riku's Mom

libbysmum

Post by libbysmum » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:23 am

I'm so glad your problem has gone away! Maybe this will one day happen for us as well!