Homeopathic Meds - Traumeel

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

esudroff

Homeopathic Meds - Traumeel

Post by esudroff » Mon May 06, 2013 7:27 am

Wonder if anyone has had success using Traumeel as an add on supplement? My homeopathic vet suggested it in addition to anti-seizure meds. He says that it is a immunomodulator and helps to reduce inflammation in the body from anything and everything including allergies and inappropriate immune responses. He uses it a lot for dogs where seizure cause is unknown. It is all natural and has no side effects. I figure it can't hurt to try. I will post in a bit and let you know how it works out for us.

Thanks, Betsy

julie199

Re: Homeopathic Meds - Traumeel

Post by julie199 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:48 am

Betsy any luck with the Traumeel?

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:24 pm

hi everyone,

anyone try traumeel and can post how it change things in seizure dog(s)?

thanks,
Chris
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

lessonskarmataughtme

Post by lessonskarmataughtme » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:48 pm

Our epileptic pitbull (53LBS) (probably between 4 - 5 years old - rescue dog and unsure of exact age) is currently prescribed Traumeel for a soft tissue injury (muscle? ligament? tendon? or just joint pain?) in her right front shoulder.

[We had an x-ray but it came back 100% normal. So it is not a fracture or bone issue. Vet started us on Traumeel after Rimadyl (anti-inflammatory) didn't seem to help at all. The limping and non-weight baring on the right front leg started after a cluster of 5 seizures in 1 day in August. Maybe our dog wrenched her leg while experiencing one of the seizures or knocked into something? We're not sure. But she's been limping ever since. As per vet's orders, we are limiting exercise and length of her walks. Also, she is not allowed to walk up or down any stairs and is not allowed to jump into or out of the car. I personally worried that this wasn't an injury, but perhaps ataxia or some kind of neurological problem causing the muscle pain or weakness -- caused by the seizures.]

Anyway, to answer the question: We started Traumeel about 1 week ago. And after not having any witnessed seizure activity in over 70 days, she had a mild focal seizure in which she lost use of her hind legs and back-end and started twitching/shaking. Lasted about 2 minutes. She supported her weight with her front legs the entire time and although a bit dazed, she didn't lose consciousness.
Overall, what we witnessed wasn't as serious as the 3-minute long grand mal seizures she used to have once every 15-20 days or so. But, we have never seen her have a focal seizure before. Is this related to the Traumeel she started 1 week ago? Maybe. Not sure. But I am worried about a link here, especially after we had 70+ days seizure free for the first time then added something new and saw something new. But it may be complete coincidence.

Current Meds:
(Zonisamide 400mg morning, 400mg evening).
(Baytril Otic ear drops for ear infection 4-6 drops morning, 4-6 drops evening.)
(KetoHex shampoo for itchy/red/scaly paws - hot spots, every other day on paws.)
(Traumeel tablets for joint pain).

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:18 am

My dog's neurologist told me that when you see focal seizures, it just indicates that there is still abnormal electrical activity going on in the brain. If the dog were not on medications (or medications at the ideal dosage) those focals would be grand mals.

Where did you find the traumeel and how much does one give per pound?
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:28 am

thanks ev1,

I use it myself for arthritis as a gel for my hands, knees, and back ... but after reading esudroff's post I remembered that at the health food store I had the option of gel or pills and that lead me to wonder if giving the tablet form to Molly would help somehow with her seizures ... and I too am curious as to the dosing for dogs per weight?
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:32 am

Ironically Jake's vet mentioned Traumeel a few days ago because Jake pulled a muscle last week during a seizure. I'm taking him in for his 6 month evaluation this afternoon and I'll let you know what she says about dosing. Usually when it comes to homeopathic meds, for Jake, (he weighs 56 pounds) it's the same as adult human dose. I would imagine that if you have a smaller dog it would be the child's dose, but I'll check to make sure.

Lynne

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:37 am

I forgot to mention that it's available on Iherb.com for a good price.

Lynne

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:50 am

I found out that Traumeel is a good anti inflammatory, and the dosing for dogs is: 50 lbs and over is as directed for adults, 20-50 lbs is the child's dose, and under twenty pounds, half the child's dose or what is recommended by the vet. We just started Jake on the adult dose and I'll let you know how he makes out.

Take Care,
Lynne

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:00 am

I wanted to let you know that I'm cautiously optimistic about the Traumeel. Jake made it a month between seizures, and for him that is really great! He has seasonal allergies, and Oct/Nov/Dec are his worst months. Usually with itching comes more seizures, and the seizures become more intense. His seizure this time was very mild and he recovered quickly. We're also giving him Heel Allergy. If he makes it through December the same way we might be on to something. I'll keep you posted.

Lynne

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks Lynne,

I haven't made it back to the health food store as it's in another town .. but I hope to get some of it in the tablet form and give it a try ... at least it can't hurt ... :D

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

KMarg

Post by KMarg » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Gentle Jacob's mom wrote:I wanted to let you know that I'm cautiously optimistic about the Traumeel. Jake made it a month between seizures, and for him that is really great! He has seasonal allergies, and Oct/Nov/Dec are his worst months. Usually with itching comes more seizures, and the seizures become more intense. His seizure this time was very mild and he recovered quickly. We're also giving him Heel Allergy. If he makes it through December the same way we might be on to something. I'll keep you posted.

Lynne
Any further updates on this? How is Jake doing?

Thanks.
Kaiser & KMarg
Kaiser is a Ger. Shep./Border Collie mix
Born Nov/Dec 2011
First seizure July 1, 2013
Last Seizure July 26, 2017
PhenoBar, 1 grain, 2x daily
Keppra, 750 mg, 2x daily
KBro, 750 mg, 2x daily
CBD/thc only since July 8, 2017

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:34 am

We've used Traumeel as a safe alternative to NSAIDs. Jake has been taking it for almost two years and I do believe it has helped with his seizures as an anti inflammatory. We also use it for one our cats that had chronic itching for over 9 years. She used to dig open her face, chew the hair from her legs and tail. We started her on Traumeel after steroids were only a short term cure. The Traumeel has changed her life. She no longer has itching and hasn't had a problem for over a year and a half. We saw results with both Jake and our cat within a week. The theory is that it can take awhile for homeopathic remedies to take effect. That isn't always the case. There have been a few members that have reported improvement in seizures after trying an anti inflammatory. Traumeel was used in the military as an anti inflammatory and you can find a lot information online.
I hope this helps.
Lynne