Zonisamide + Phenobarbital + KBr

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Chris Douglas

Re: Zonisamide + Phenobarbital + KBr

Post by Chris Douglas » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:20 am

Hi Ettore/Elisa,

Merry Christmas to you as well ... for us I have noticed that the pattern is an ever changing one ... that it is only the pattern of right now ... I can only speak to the melatonin for us as every dog is different and what works for one may not help another ... but Molly's had a history of having seizure's while sleeping for the longest time ... then we tried melatonin and read about it:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... atonin.htm

and she hasn't had a seizure while sleeping since ... that I know of

Chris and Molly
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ectorino

Post by ectorino » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:26 am

Thanks!!
I'm going to find a way to get Melatonin as in Italy we have a new European regulation which prohibits the use of Melatonin as supplement and you can only get as prescribed drug but with a maximum dosage of 2 mg….even trying to order through Amazon it's impossible as the goods won't be cleared at the customs……I'm wondering if some of you may help me, shipping me a box of Melatonin 3 mg by normal post service, not courier….I will pay everything in advance off course
Anyway, a couple of days ago Boss had another seize, 25 days later than the last one…..I was so excited last October reaching for the first time 5 months free of seizures that I felt to have reached the goal but now it looks like to have done a big jump back…..very frustrating…..
Now who is the driver which doesn't work properly as it has so far?? PB, KBr, Zonisamide?? I will try to check with the vet but I'm quite pessimistic about his opinion….it will be for sure another trial to adjust the dosage of one of the three, meanwhile I could try introducing Melatonin as 4 of the latest 5 seizures occurred at night…..maybe it could work
Thanks for any suggestion or opinion any of you may have
Ettore/Elisa
Boss Golden Retriever 40 Kg
PB 75 mg BID
Zonisamide 400 mg BID
KBr 1050 mg

Chris Douglas

Post by Chris Douglas » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:30 am

Hi Ettore/Elisa,

I would try and get a prescription for the 2 mg then and try that ... cause even some melatonin is better than none and may make a difference

Chris
Chris & Molly
Brittany 27 lbs female DOB Mar.2008,
Pb 32.4 mg(1/2 grain) BID
regular Keppra 2/250mg BID
Valium tab's 5 mg orally/rectally as needed
Melatonin 5mg SID

1st seizure 8/20/12
last seizure 12/14/13

Rainbow Bridge 12/28/13

ectorino

Post by ectorino » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Hello everyone
Just an update about Boss conditions…..beginning of January the frequency of the seizures was starting to increase, so we went to the neurologist to ask what to do……he decided that most likely Zonisamide was not working as he could expected, so he decided to stop the administration increasing meanwhile the dosage of PB……As I read in the forum, I had started giving 3 mg of Melatonin every day, in fact ever since (three weeks ago) he didn't have any more seizure at night…..crossing fingers….yesterday 4 weeks after the suspension of Zonisamide yesterday he got a seize, different from the past ones, the grand male has been very short but with long recovery time…now we should check the blood tests in order to see the level of PB and KBr before establishing whether or not it's the case to add a third drug…..But apparently it seems difficult, for this particular case like Boss is, to follow just a pathway, but it seems more logical to change the way of treatment periodically…..maybe what is not working anymore on Boss now could work later on, if his poor liver will be able to tolerate such a massive assumption of drugs…..
We won't give up anyway!!!
Ettore/Elisa
PB 75 mg BID
Zonisamide 400 mg BID
KBr 1050 mg

cforecatsmeow

Post by cforecatsmeow » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:11 am

Never give up! You just never know if you can find the right combination somewhere along the line. I am with you in that it seems like our dogs need a tweak or two every now and again. It's so hard. I do feel lucky in that Winston does not have seizures as bad as others, but he is still not "controlled." I always say we just ride the waves, the ups and downs and usually it calms down again. I asked my vet about Zonisamide recently and the neurologist she consults with said it has not been effective and has noticed more side effects with it other than Keppra. However, the Keppra seems to have a pretty short life with the Pheno so, again, there are always adjustments. Keep us posted on Boss' progress. This stupid disease drives me crazy. Always something. I get so mad sometimes that we were not one of the "lucky" ones who gained control easily, but it is what it is and I will never give up on my pup either. I swear I will pick up and move to Colorado if I have to just to see if the low THC medicinal marijuana works as well on pups as it has epileptic children!
Cynthia and Epi-Winston
Black Mouth Cur Mix
DOB: 8/2/10
96 lbs.
First Seizure 6/11/13
Last Seizure 1/2/15
Phenobarbital 97.2 bid
Keppra (generic) 937.5 bid, 1125 sid
10 mg Valium tabs as needed
Liquid Oral Valium 5mg/5ml for rectal as needed

ectorino

Post by ectorino » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:00 pm

Hello everyone
it's a while I'm not opening this web site who by the way kept me company for more than 4 years and a half.....Today my heart is totally devastated because yesterday we have decided to put Boss to sleep forever........his medical case went worse in the past five months.....he was not able to positively respond to any old and new treatment....I tried even acopuncture, totally unsuccessful in his case.....all the drugs of new generation we have tried didn't work, honestly I didn't want to continue his agony with another drug who would have made him like a "vegetable"......but the day after I feel much worse that I believed......I know I have done really the best I could do, bringing to several neurologists with the hope to find a day the magical resolution, and sometimes I was even caring more him than my children......but now I feel a physical pain I could not describe, and I just want to share with who can understand my frame of mind......I'm sure now Boss is free and can run finally without fits anymore...... :( :( :( :( :(

Boss 17/03/2009-13/12/2014
Ettore/Elisa
PB 75 mg BID
Zonisamide 400 mg BID
KBr 1050 mg

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:33 am

I'm so sorry that your Boss lost the fight. I understand how you're feeling because over 5 years have gone by since my boy lost his fight and I can't think of him without the tears coming. I think it's harder because they're young and they got a really bad hand dealt to them in life. It hurts when you try your best to save them and cannot.

Rest in peace Boss, you deserve that and so much more.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:54 am

I am so sorry to hear that Boss has lost the fight and know the pain of losing a precious baby. I admire you for being able to make one of life's hardest decisions because you love him more than you love yourself. My thoughts & prayers are with you.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16